If I could buy only one piece of gear, what should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joshua.d.vise

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I dive very infrequently, but am trying to do it more often. I don't have my own transportation, so hauling things can be tough, especially going from my city inland to the coasts (about 2 hours via public transportation to the nearest dive location).

What would you recommend a person who doesn't dive much have rather than rent? Computer? Mask and fins? BCD? Several of these things? None of these things? Any other ideas?

You 100% need your own mask. They're incredibly personal as far as fit goes, but also from the hygiene aspect you really just need your own that fits. Fins and booties are nice to have as well and the ROI on owning vs. renting is pretty quick. Both of these things last a LONG time, like decades if properly taken care of, and don't need a lot of space or money for good ones.

Can you define diving very infrequently and what are your long term goals? That will define the rest of that list

Definitely mask, since it can be hard to get the right fit. Computer would be nice so you’re familiar with it, it will have a log of your dives, and its small. Computer doesn’t have to be fancy and expensive, a basic one will do the job.
The rest maybe depends on the quality of the rentals where you’re going.

I'd say a mask that seals onto your face well, followed by either a computer or well-fitted exposure suit depending on your priorities.

The mask tops the list because it's a very personal fit and is an important item for every dive. For the second-place slot, I'd go with the computer if you're planning on doing any traveling so you don't have to go consulting a manual every time you rent a new computer. If you're primarily planning to dive locally and rent from the same shop, then I'd consider going for the wetsuit/drysuit instead since having a correctly fit suit will make your diving more comfortable. It's also kind of nice to know who peed in your suit last :)

Mask probably. Exposer protection if needed. Then I'd go with regs and computer. Everything fits easily in a back pack for travels.

Personally, I disagree with most people about fins. They’re big, and the most difficult thing to bring for travel. And their just big hunks or plastic; they won’t “fail” on you mid-dive because they’ve been mistreated like other gear would.

As others have said. Mask is by far the most important. I would next go with computer since if you don’t own one you might end up just diving without one, or you have to figure out how to use a new one each time. After that, I’d go with a BCD. The DGX single tank package is an incredibly good value, and having familiarity with your BCD is important. After that, regulators, but if you don’t dive often it will be hard to make ROI.

Personally, I disagree with most people about fins. They’re big, and the most difficult thing to bring for travel. And their just big hunks or plastic; they won’t “fail” on you mid-dive because they’ve been mistreated like other gear would.

As others have said. Mask is by far the most important. I would next go with computer since if you don’t own one you might end up just diving without one, or you have to figure out how to use a new one each time. After that, I’d go with a BCD. The DGX single tank package is an incredibly good value, and having familiarity with your BCD is important. After that, regulators, but if you don’t dive often it will be hard to make ROI.

You're probably right about fins. I've gotten to think of mask'n'fins as a single entity. Although fins that suit you are a lot better than fins that don't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom