If I could buy only one piece of gear, what should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mask, then computer.

I'd agree with most folks and recommend mask, booties, fins and computer. I do agree with @drk5036 that fins are not a necessity like mask and computer are, but if you find a pair of fins that you like then buy them and have them all the time. For a computer I'd suggest an Oceanic GEO 4.0 or something similar. I dove my GEO 2 until it just wore out and it was one of the best pieces of diving kit I've ever owned.

OK, a mask; then, a regulator of your own, with an SPG. Computers can wait; tables are cheap and simple, at the very beginning. I was diving for well over a decade before I saw my first one -- and I still possess feeling in my hands and toes. Any regulator worth its weight, will comfortably fit in a day pack.

Having done bacterial tests on rental gear years ago, I wouldn't put my mouth on a rental regulator:

From ten or twelve regulators (via mouthpieces and second stage interiors), we isolated three strains of E. coli; Clostridium; Salmonella; Bifidobacterium; Cryptosporidium; Staphylococcus; and the lovely Candida, the causative agent of genital yeast infections, and thrush.

Do you rent gear at the coast after you've done that 2-hour haul on public transit? What does a gear package include, what does it cost, and how much does it cost to rent the things that aren't included?

A friend of mine got certified in the tropics and rented everything but her bikini. She was surprised when she went to rent gear here in LA because the standard package at dive shops doesn't include mask, fins, snorkel, and booties; every OW class has you buy those things. (That gear package, however, is only about $60 for the day, so it takes a while to break even on a purchase.) I brought my booties to Mexico with the intention of renting fins (my fins were too big to fit in my suitcase) but found when I arrived that the dive shops only had full-foot fins that didn't work with booties, so I should've just left those at home.

I agree with everyone who says to prioritize a mask and computer. But depending on the rental situation, you may stop there, or buy any number of other things in addition.

If you want to dive more often than now, you need to be confortable and not feeling cold.
So, after the mask, I would suggest you spend your money in thermal protection instead of a computer.
1.mask
2.thermal protection
3.reg
4.bcd
5.instruments (computer if it makes you."safer")
6.fins
For all of these, no need to believe you need the top of the range..."top of the range" being a commercial gimmick:)

To echo Esprise, what is going to be your normal routine? I for one like to rent a wetsuit (even though I will clearly die from the creaping crud or whatever I catch from it), because I then don't have to deal with washing, drying or even transporting that wetsuit. I might reconsider if I ever have the money for a drysuit.
If you are traveling on public transport, what is reasonable to transport with you, and what makes sense to off-load the care and maintenance of?
I'm guessing something like a reg or computer, plus the basics of mask, fins and booties.

I have fin, booties and mask because my OW course required it (a few of years ago now), I added a computer a few months ago (mostly to help me remember to actually log my dives) and I have a reg set arriving soon... to go with a BP and wing that I also got a couple of months ago...
But no plans to get a wetsuit, its not convenient to the diving I do locally and when I travel the last thing I want to bother bringing is a wetsuit!

OK, a mask; then, a regulator of your own, with an SPG. Computers can wait; tables are cheap and simple, at the very beginning. I was diving for well over a decade before I saw my first one -- and I still possess feeling in my hands and toes. Any regulator worth its weight, will comfortably fit in a day pack.

Having done bacterial tests on rental gear years ago, I wouldn't put my mouth on a rental regulator:

You can have ypur own mouthpiece and switchout with zipties. Lots cheaper in the beginning

You can have ypur own mouthpiece and switchout with zipties. Lots cheaper in the beginning

The lion's share of contamination was internal . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom