If Nikon wanted an UW advantage why not a new Nikonos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe Nikon could be like Olympus and actually sell a quality OEM housing to go with some of their cameras.
Now there's an idea.
How many V1 housings do you think they'd sell if they had something equivalent to the Oly PEN housings for $600.

Maybe Nikon could be like Olympus and actually sell a quality OEM housing to go with some of their cameras.
Now there's an idea.
How many V1 housings do you think they'd sell if they had something equivalent to the Oly PEN housings for $600.

Bloody heaps of them. I am in Bali at the moment diving Tulamben and my buddy has a D7000 in an Aquatic housing and it ain't as good as they used to be. He has spent a lot of time adjusting it (engineer) so that it is not so loose.

Still I have to rush macro dive just to the right of the wreck in 10 mins - it's a tough life.

See you suckers later!

I can't even remember when Nikon last had an OEM-branded housing. It would be great if 10Bar or Ikelite makes a J1 or V1 housing. The Nauticam housing looks great but $1600 is too much.

Last edited:
It just got too expensive. The Nikonos R was the end of the line, with autofocus. Discontinued around 2001. Selling for $2000 for the body, maybe more or less on the used market. You can house an F100 for a lot less and have a wider selection of lenses, if you must have film.

There was a product liability issue too. It seems that the strobes could explode if Nicad batteries in them got wet, a not uncommon event. The battery cap needed to be vented to prevent this. That is essentially the difference between the SB103 and SB105, cap vented for overpressure.

I don't know for sure, but I would bet the thinking went something like this: Hey, we're getting sued because these darn strobes explode and it's bad for the Nikon name. We're not selling many anyway. Let's get out of the business and concentrate on our traditional SLRs. Another possible example of runaway lawsuits, but it's not gonna change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom