If not Phils or Indo, then?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well to maximise our trip, we would have to fly in/out Friday and Saturday:-/
Not sure I understand about Coron? Are the hotels far away from the wrecks? Which hotel to choose to be closer? She likes the bangkas, so might be nice for her. Anything topside near Coron?
East coast Malaysia is interesting, flights to KUL are cheap, are there good dive sites?
Just checked, and my normal go to for vaccines and malaria, says not anti malarial for HK:-/
HK Disneyland should be very interesting to a 9 yrs old!!
If you are staying in Coron then the wrecks are miles away. There are at least two dive resorts much closer to the wrecks but they are on the expensive side eg. Sangat Island.
Never pay any attention to top side activities on diving trip.
Perhentian(Bar and Kecil), Redang, Tenggol and Tioman are the four main one on the East Coast of peninsular. They are ok but nothing spectacular. Check the diving season.

Dengue Fever and Malaria are not a real concern in HK but nobody has informed that to the mosquitoes. So be careful even in our concrete jungle.

Update.

Thank you for the replies.
For a while I was actually pretty ok with Mauritius, but we settled on Thailand combined with Angkor Wat in Cambodia.

We’re going to do some land based diving (probably Koh Lanta) and a 4 day LOB - already did this 2 years ago and know what to expect and daughter loved the boat, crew and the snorkeling:)

Good choice on Siam Reap, Angkor Wat is fascinating - I have lots of friends living there, though I have not been there for a while.

Kulen National Park is something I like to visit when I would go there. I'd rent a off road motorbike and drive up there through the jungle - there is a very nice waterfall to swim in up there. A taxi can be had hired if you can't get a motorbike.

My friend's pizza restaurant: Ecstatic Restaurant

You'll notice two ale-guzzling Australians there in there; they'll help you out if you need advice; tell them your scuba diving friend from Canada sent you - they'll know who you are talking about.

Kulen Park:
Google Maps

Good choice on Siam Reap, Angkor Wat is fascinating - I have lots of friends living there, though I have not been there for a while.

Kulen National Park is something I like to visit when I would go there. I'd rent a off road motorbike and drive up there through the jungle - there is a very nice waterfall to swim in up there. A taxi can be had hired if you can't get a motorbike.

You'll notice two ale-guzzling Australians there in there; they'll help you out if you need advice; tell them your scuba diving friend from Canada sent you - they'll know who you are talking about.

Kulen Park:
Google Maps

If I order a taxi in Siem Riep, how long does it take to get up there?

Kulen Park:
Google Maps

Great thanks! Even if it’s early during our trip we do tend to get “riced out” and might go for a pizza;-P

I actually have the trip to Kulen on my itinerary, but was considering scrapping it - no way we’ll hire a motorcycle (it’s actually one of the few things not covered by our travel insurance- whereas both diving, paragliding and bungee jump is included), but a car would be fine.

I have a suggested tour itinerary to combine Kulen with beanteay srei and butterfly park, do you think that would be ok? Price with car and driver: 60 $. Would it be ok to go on a Sunday? Or better on a weekday?

We have 4 days, so we do 3 shortish days in the park - including zip line adventures;-) Then have an extra day for a trip somewhere.

I have a suggested tour itinerary to combine Kulen with beanteay srei and butterfly park, do you think that would be ok? Price with car and driver: 60 $. Would it be ok to go on a Sunday? Or better on a weekday?

I've not been to that temple or the butterfly park; but, I have been to the waterfall a few times. There are a couple of things to see up in the jungle near the waterfall too - carvings on the river bed that are 1000 years old; and there is a place to eat and have some ale.

Whether you go and see all three I suppose depends on how much rushing around you want to do and the timing. It would be easy to spend 3-4 hours at the waterfall, have a swim, ales, lunch.

I've not been in a few years so I don't know how crowded it is vis a vis day/weekend; or how much things should cost if you paid for things once there; a lot will depend on the time of year you go. There has been a lot of construction and a big influx of Chinese tourists over the last while.

I have a suggested tour itinerary to combine Kulen with beanteay srei and butterfly park, do you think that would be ok?
I have not been to Angkor for a while either but I remember we did Banteay Srei which is very small (and has gotten its main interest from Malraux getting busted in it), coupled with Ta Phrom, which is on its side really worth the visit. Are you considerig skipping Ta Phrom or doing Banteay Srei additional to the park visit?
Did you consider taking a boat and going on Tomle Sap as well as a side visit of Siem Reap?

I have not been to Angkor for a while either but I remember we did Banteay Srei which is very small (and has gotten its main interest from Malraux getting busted in it), coupled with Ta Phrom, which is on its side really worth the visit. Are you considerig skipping Ta Phrom or doing Banteay Srei additional to the park visit?
Did you consider taking a boat and going on Tomle Sap as well as a side visit of Siem Reap?

Ta Phrom we’re doing on another day - right after sunrise at Angkor Wat. We might be able to do Banteay Srei on that day, thanks for the tip:)
Tonle Sap I did think about but it would have to be instead of the trip to Kulen mountain (that was why I was thinking about scrapping Kulen) I read sunset at Tonle Sap should be amazing.

With only 4 days we will not be able to see it all.

I did SR , just five nights, in the middle of an 8 week sabbatical.The rest was all diving.You will see loads in five days. It’s hard to get an English speaking guide so books one straight away when you get there. They all have at least one degree in Cambodian history and are absolutely superb. Tones San was beautiful and can be combined with temples easily.

We are just back from Ko Lanta, the coral seems much improved compared with 2014 and there are plenty of fish. We kept missing a whaleshark, but the mantas had not appeared yet this year. But we saw some very nice macro ,lovely soft coral sites and of course that beautiful food.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom