If you could dive anywhere in the world...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aegir

Reaction score
Ok guys I need some help. I am trying to do some research on the best diving destinations. All being well I will be going abroad some time this summer. I have never dived outside of the UK before either so I am at a bit of a loss as to where I should start. I mostly prefer to see biodiversity on a dive so if you could take that into account. I asked in the "travel" forum, if anyone had dived Palau or PNG but there wasnt a single response. Any help on this would be great. I have read all about the top destinations on the web, but what I am really looking for is real opinions. It would be great if you could help me out. Much Thanks :)

Aegir,

Why bother going abroad when you can go up to Scapa Flow?

Certainly amongst the best wreck diving in europe, and in amongst the wrecks you will be surprised at what wildlife you see......

Turnerjd,

... I should have mentioned that a change of climate would be appreciated. Infact a warm-hot climate would be great. I would love to see some giant mantas ans turtles too :)

What sort of depths are to be expected at Scarpa flow?

I've just returned from Derawan Island in Indonesia. It was fantastic diving. Thiry or forty mantas at a time when diving off Sangalaki and in Derawan itself, loads of turtles. They come up every night on to the beach to lay their eggs. It is superb for macro life eg pygmy sea horses, ghost pipe fish etc.

Maggie

Hello Maggie,

Welcome to the boards, we're glad to have you here. It sounds like you had a magnificent time, do you have any pictures you could share with us by any chance?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Hi Maggie,

A warm welcome from England and i hope you like the boards I think they are great. Wow, 30-40 mantas at a time that sounds like a dream to me. Any really big ones? I have never heard of Derawan Island before now, but it sounds like you had a blast.

Thank you for your reply and I look forward to hearing more

Aegir,

If you interested in the South Pacific area, check these out.

The magazine covers all destinations, from Indian Ocean (Maldives, Andaman), South East Asia (Phillipine, Thailand, Indonesia), Far East (Japan & Hong Kong), Pacific (Guam, Hawaii, PNG and numerous atolls in the area - I don't remember the names) and sometimes Australia.

Being in the region, Derawan is about one hour flight and several hours boat ride from my place. But I've never been there ;-0

Hopefully this year.

Ray

Do Micronesian and the Marianas Islands! Hit Palau, Truk, Yap and you pretty much will see everything! If you stop in Guam, come in and say "hi"! Guam is a nice place to get your feet wet and get used to warm water (80-84F...hey, we're Americans...don't do the Celcius thing!) before going onto the other islands. Guam diving is nice, but pollution and the last typhoon really have taken their toll on our reefs.

Of the three, I've been to Yap. And it was incredible! Mantas on every dive (not 30...but we were there in the off season!) Truk is wonderful for wreck diving. I think over 50 mapped wrecks in their lagoon, and they are still finding more. Even if you are not into penetration, the wrecks have made beautiful artificial reefs and the BIG stuff is always there. Palau *sigh* I am saving until I'm ready to leave this part of the world. From what I hear, Palau ruins diving for the rest of the world! Nothing can compare!

Oh, and if you need a dive buddy when you go on your trip, just let me know! *winks*

For Aegir: I dove Palau last April (the best month to go) on
board the Sundancer II. For me it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience (because of the cost). I have been diving over 20 years and have over 1000 dives. I have been to Fiji, Coco Island, The Galapagos, Hawaii and most places in the Caribbean. Still Palau exceeded all my hopes and expectations. One must dive Palau before they die !

It is best to go on a liveaboard because of the number of dives you can do per day (4 or 5 in most cases). You will have close encounters with schools of Gray Reef Sharks on most dives as well as White Tips. Giant (Tridacna) clams, huge docile cuttlefish, 100s of species of reef fish, an un-believeable variety of invertebrates and still pristine reefs. Strong currents require the use of reef hooks on some sites. The Blue Hole, Blue Corner and New Drop Off rate as some of the top dive spots in the world.

If you decide to go to Palau, look into a stopover at Yap to dive with the Mantas. Stay at Manta Ray Bay Hotel. Also
you will want to obtain a copy of "Micronesia Handbook" by Neil M. Levy (Moon Travel Handbooks) and if you are a serious diver," Coral Reef Fishes" by Ewald Lieske and Robert Meyers (Princeton University Press).

I would go back there in a minute if it were not for the cost. Avoid the rainy season !

Good Diving

The Professor

Professor, WOW is about all i can say, i envy you greatly. I have read alot about Palau and Yap and some of the pictures i have seen are just unbelievable. Sounds like it is very expensive though. I have decided to go for my DM in a few months. Have you any idea if there are any jobs in Micronesia for DM's? Working there for a year or two would certainly be something for me to seriously think about. Any further info would be brilliant if you have the time.
my e-mail is Aegir@scubadiving.com

Back
Top Bottom