If you could only have one tank, what would it be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "unable to get a full 3442 psi fill" problem is most likely a compressor issue where the shop is either unable or unwilling to go all the way to 3400 psi. Sometimes it's a pressure problem and sometimes it's just a volume issue as they can't push the entire bank that high and they don't want to top the tanks off the compressor or off a high pressure bank.

I could buy that 20 years ago when 3500 psi tanks were fairly new and not all that common, but they and the 3442 psi special permit tanks have been mainstream for over a decade now. They need to get with the times, or find another line of work.

The not honoring the "+" rating is just plain fill station/tank monkey or shop manager ignorance about what a "+" rating means, what tanks qualify (many don't believe that tanks can be "+" rated on anything other than the initial hydro test), and what it means in terms of a fill. It suggests a very dogmatic "never, ever exceed the service pressure stamped on the shoulder" mentality.

Those are also the kinds of shops that never exceed 3000 psi in a hot AL 80 and then leave you with an AL 80 that is under filled to only 2800 psi when it cools to room temp.

I spend my money elsewhere.

Fabre LP 85's. Cave filled. But that is contingent on if I still get Al 80's (or even better Al 72's) for staging/deco. But if that is not allowed then I would go with Al 72's all around. I could deal with having to add weight to counter the buoyancy to be able to extend my dives and cary multiple gasses.

I have used Hp 100, 120 Al 40, 80, 100 and LP 85, 95, 104, 120, 72 and like the 85 the best gas volume vs streamlined 72 are good too but have more buoyancy than the 85's. If I need more gas then I can stage.

Faber 120

i have lp85's doubled, lp95's as singles and a lp120 all faber. for local diving i use the lp120. gulf diving i use the lp95's and when doubles are called for the lp85's they are all rated with the +10% so a 95 is really an 85 when filled to 2400. most shops do not notice that they are lp tanks and fill to 3000. even when cooled they have 2800 or so. the lp85s are light 32# with out valves i think. very compatable with al tanks. the 85's are 7.25 dia and the 95's and 120 are 8's. i think you said your sac was very low. if so you dont need a lot of tank. Now the 85's are long tank's like an al80 where the 95's are shorter and therefore can make you top heavy. the 120 is a long tank and rides like the 85's. very little bouyancy difference from the 95 to the 120 but the 120 IS A MUCH HEAVIER TANK out of the water. For local diving my 120 filled to 3k gives me in the neighborhood of 150 cu ft. thats a lot of bottom time n a 20-30 ft lake. i cant recall ever getting a refill for the day at the dive site. lds fills me for 6 bucks and the lakes charge 8-15 for an al80.

none of this takes into consideration a cave fill.

I can't choose, I just can't.

When I choose the dive, I choose the tank.

Bob
-----------------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I'm done with the AL80's for anything other than shallow water dives.

So what do you plan to do when you get on a liveaboard in Maldives, Palau or the Caribbean and all they have on the boat is AL80's? Or a dive op that only has AL 80's?

-Charles

So what do you plan to do when you get on a liveaboard in Maldives, Palau or the Caribbean and all they have on the boat is AL80's? Or a dive op that only has AL 80's?

-Charles

Buy tanks when I get there. Jk

Wish I could but that would get expensive fast.

Buy tanks when I get there. Jk

Wish I could but that would get expensive fast.

Yeah - win the lottery! Here in the real world my choice, I love my steel 100 tanks. I weigh about 110 pounds but I like the larger tank - more air and no more weight at the end of the day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom