If you could only make one boat dive in Bonaire...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Newman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My newly certified student is travelling to Bonaire in April. It will be his first trip outside the cold waters of Canada. He intends to participate principally in shore dives. He has asked, "if you were able to make only one boat dive in Bonaire, which would you recommend?"

I'm certain that many of you out there have a suggestion based on practical experience. Please let me have them and I will pass them on.

And if you can recommend a particular dive operation, that would be great too.

Had the pleasure of staying at Buddy Dive for a little less than a week and had a total blast. Our package included two one-bottle boat trips; both went to little Bonaire island. We enjoyed both dives because the profile was very different than the shore dives, so I would recommend it in the middle of their trip. At the time, we both enjoyed them very much, but now that a few weeks have passed, neither dive stands out - the downside of 3 - 5 awesome dives a day :) They won't have a bad dive, no matter where they go! Cheers, Kevin.

Town Pier night dive. It's been several years since I have been there, but I am fairly sure that Town pier is a boat dive and if you go at night then there is usually fantastic macro life (seahorses, frogfish) to check out.

I'd pass it up and do another shore dive (or maybe 2). A boat trip to multiple dive sites on the north end or the wild side might be tempting.

Rappel is accessible only by boat - it's a very good dive. I've been on boats with two different groups and both requested it.

There's also a couple of pretty good dives off Klein Bonaire - Hands Off (minor drift) and Forest were two of our favorites.

Town Pier is a shore dive. You walk in off the steps just south of it. I'm not sure you can even dive it now - or would want to since the cruise ships started arriving.

I'd say any of the Klein sights. Keep in mind, you don't necessarily "pick" the location. From what I experienced, the sights were determined by which boat was there first. Yes, you can request they try one, and after a bunch of times, we finally did get them to take us to our request. I will say this - ITS ALL GOOD!

We mostly shore dive. When we do boat dives we typically do a Klein dive. We do this for two reasons - can't get there from the shore. We boat dive with Capt Dons and they typically do Klein on their afternoon boat dive and the boat is usually empty bc most folks do the two AM boat dives. Also Capt Dons list their boat dives the day before so you know where they are going the next day (which can change) and you know where they are going before you get on the boat or sign up. As far as only one dive, they are all good and I do not recall one being so much better than another that I would say it is the one you had to do if only one boat dive was the choice.

IMO, handsdown, Karpata. I was there three years ago (Buddy Dive). Out of 22 dives (all different spots, boat and shore), Karpata was my favorite. The topography was breathtaking. Swimming along a 45 degree wall, you cross over deep canyons and looking upwards ahead you see what I invisioned as ridgelines of tall mountains. You find yourself just wanting to explore every canyon and peak. None of the dive sites were disappointing, but Karpata was very memorable for me.

Back
Top Bottom