If you dive alone, you die alone ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I routinely solo dive off of charter boats pretty much up and down the west coast. Liveaboards in places like Indonesia and the Red Sea don't have the same liability concerns that you do in Florida ... apparently not even within the United States is that the case, since very few that I'm aware of on the west coast follow the same strict protocols you do.

And I really don't give much of a sh!t what you think of my diving skills ... you've never met me, much less dived with me, so you don't have a clue what they might be. Your skills as an evaluator probably aren't as awesome as you think they are either ... since you admit that it's not a matter of ability so much as your unwillingness to put any effort into evaluating.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Easy, Big man, don't get twisted up, I was trying to answer your question why someone would need a solo card even if they have the skills and don't need the class. You are correct, I don't know you except by reputation, have no idea about your diving skills, and don't really care to evaluate them. You see, when you carry 500 or so divers a year, you don't really have time to treat anyone as a special flower, everyone gets lumped in the same group, called recreational diver. So, while special flowers need a special evaluation to determine their suitability to dive solo, recreational divers were allowed to go with a solo card.

As to my actual skills as an evaluator, it doesn't matter what they are, what matters is what my insurance company, PADI, and SDI think they are, based on the cards I carry.

Believe it or not I've been approached by self appointed scuba police here in RI admonishing me on the way in the water for being alone! I just give'em a chuckle and wish'em a nice day.

I did go to NC back in 2011 and was surprised after my insta-buddy got spooked and left the water before we hooked up at 15' to descend, to be allowed to continue my dive solo after a few words with the Capt. Of course I was already in the water, had surfaced looking for my buddy, went down to the bottom (100FSW) to look for him there and surfaced to report him missing. It was my 1st time in NC and the 1st dive of the trip so I had no history good or bad with the operation for the Capt. to consider. Maybe he thought he already lost control and just let me go? After that I dived solo one other time there without a word.
As you likely would have been with me. Likely not a loss of control, probably an acknowledgement that you understood how to dive. Believe me, not everyone knows how to dive.

Believe it or not I've been approached by self appointed scuba police here in RI admonishing me on the way in the water for being alone! I just give'em a chuckle and wish'em a nice day.

I've had a few "admonishments" over the years ... how I respond usually depends on how I'm approached when they do it. Some are genuinely concerned, or curious. Others just feel like they have the right to tell someone else how to dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Easy, Big man, don't get twisted up, I was trying to answer your question why someone would need a solo card even if they have the skills and don't need the class. You are correct, I don't know you except by reputation, have no idea about your diving skills, and don't really care to evaluate them. You see, when you carry 500 or so divers a year, you don't really have time to treat anyone as a special flower, everyone gets lumped in the same group, called recreational diver. So, while special flowers need a special evaluation to determine their suitability to dive solo, recreational divers were allowed to go with a solo card.

As to my actual skills as an evaluator, it doesn't matter what they are, what matters is what my insurance company, PADI, and SDI think they are, based on the cards I carry.

Your use of the term "special flower" is telling, Frank ... and tells me that being around you would suck all the fun out of diving for me. I never ask for "special" treatment ... just fair treatment.

Some people don't really belong on the same boat together ... I determined long ago that you and I are such people ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last edited:
Agreed. 100%

Agreed. 100%

Yeah ... except I don't stoop to your level of making assumptions about other people's abilities without reason, nor referring to them using demeaning terminology. I don't much see the need for that sort of behavior in our recreation, and really don't need to be around people who do.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Agreed. 100%

Wookie you have a reputation of having run a safe and well managed dive boat for quite a long time.

When you announced that you had sold your boat there were numerous comments concerning your well run dive op.

By this time you must know that Bob gets his panties in a serious twist very easily.

Hope the next stage goes well for you. You certainly live in the right place.

Yeah ... except I don't stoop to your level of making assumptions about other people's abilities without reason, nor referring to them using demeaning terminology. I don't much see the need for that sort of behavior in our recreation, and really don't need to be around people who do.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Reeeally?
And I really don't give much of a sh!t what you think of my diving skills ... you've never met me, much less dived with me, so you don't have a clue what they might be. Your skills as an evaluator probably aren't as awesome as you think they are either ... since you admit that it's not a matter of ability so much as your unwillingness to put any effort into evaluating.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Lets just agree that you would be as unhappy on any boat of mine as I would be with you and leave it at that. It's funny, because I enjoyed an 80% repeat customer rate. But those who were unhappy made us all unhappy, and that's just miserable.

Wookie you have a reputation of having run a safe and well managed dive boat for quite a long time.

When you announced that you had sold your boat there were numerous comments concerning your well run dive op.

By this time you must know that Bob gets his panties in a serious twist very easily.

Hope the next stage goes well for you. You certainly live in the right place.
Thank you. We were very aware we weren't the boat for everyone. And we knew very well why. My apologies for stirring poo.

Reactions: mdb

Back
Top Bottom