If you had to pick 1 cave...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found a deep cave on Oahu that I was never able to get back to explore. Long, meandering way in, no lines, no maps, no idea what we were doing since we sure were not looking for a cave. I surfaced in the dark but couldn’t leave the exit hole with no frame of reference to find it again. Plus I didn't want to lose my bearings for all the turns and twists on the way out underwater.
Probably nothing of note, but after 35 years, no one else has ever found it and I’m pretty sure the other guy is dead.
The Andros system looks pretty cool too.

Hmmmmmmmmm, well I've just begun mapping here on Oahu, and I'm already over a mile of cave. Let's see what I find.

My experience is limited to a few FL caves at the moment. I love Hole in the Wall. And Peacock will always be particularly special. I met Bill Main there the morning of my first cave dive and got some awesome OG perspective. But I think I'd have to go with Ginnie if I had to choose. I think you could dive a lifetime there and never truly take it all in. The incredible diversity in the first 1000' alone is enough to make me fall in love with it every time I go. There's so much more I want to see and do, but if I could never dive anywhere else, I'd live a happy life.

What gear are you going to dive? If not SM or SM CCR then scratch Abaco off your list.

When I go to Abaco, it will be sm ccr

I think I’m going to try Mexico first. Cheap and Easy, just how I like it. :)

That definitely makes the most sense.

I personally believe diving caves outside of Florida helps one become a well rounded cave diver with a less Florida-centric look at things. We fl cave divers kinda think we're the bees knees a little bit too much. I love our caves, but nowadays I dive our caves out of convenience to hold me over till my next trip outside of the US.

If Ginnie was off the list and I wasn't allowed to pick it as my forever cave, my second choice would be a Mexican or French cave with the Florida caves way behind. The hard part is deciding which one since there's so many.

If I had to pick one cave to save when all others disappeared from the face of the earth, it would be Sac Actun. The system is so large and diverse that you can do hundreds of dives and still see new things. And it has everything from highly decorated shallow passages to deep sidemount tunnels that are well beyond my limits. Plus, there's a real chance that it will be connected to Ox Bel Ha soon, which would add many more years worth of interesting cave to the system.

I'd go back to Mexico. Like Florida, there is just so much variety to do each day of a week long trip, but still close together. Did the Pit and Mystic River same day and although shallow, just incredible bright structures.
Really depends on taking your favorite caves in Florida and then matching it up to something similar in Mexico, which you can find. I'm cave cert, but I'm really a spearo, so my view isn't worth much.
Lastly, it's friggin a CHEAP vacation!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom