iGills iPhone case/dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ksporry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Guys,
I was looking at this particular item (http://www.igills.com) and I was wondering if anyone has used this before.
First of all, I would probably not rely on an iphone as my dive computer, so for me it would be a gimmick more than anything serious, or at best a backup solution if my own dive computer fails under water.
The sensor, which seems to be build into the case, is both for pressure and temperature. Although I'm sure the pressure sensor is accurate enough (is it fast enough though?), I wonder how usable the temp sensor is, considering that it will be heavily influenced by the iphone that's getting pretty hot inside the casing. Not that temp is a crucial data type during the dive (you'd like to know before, so you kit out approrpiately), but you would want to have something that's at least partially useful.

Something that may be of more importance is that the iphone tends to switch off the screen after a while. Since the iphone needs at least a slide to unlock, I'd guess that if your iphone goes to sleep it will lock up and you are stuck with a useless piece of tech in your pocket. What's also important to know is that if your iphone closes teh screen, does it go into sleep mode? This may affect using the dive computer.

I guess the real problem is the screen lock. I have a sealife case for my iphone, and I found that even when running the app and putting the iphone settinsg on "don't lock screen" (or whatever it is), the screen will still switch off after a while, and I found myself having to press buttons just to keep it active. Which sucks. It also drains the battery immensely. Does the iGills have this problem too?

---------- Post added November 13th, 2013 at 12:49 PM ----------

Note, an alternative would be teh scuba capsule, which looks more rigid and appears more of a real deal item rather than a gimmick. any experiences on teh scuba capsule would also be appreciated

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom