Ignoring clear briefing instructions and diving 101 rules. close miss.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay

Need to dive more!
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This incident happened on my favourite ship wreck dive in OZ.

Swell was ~2m, wind 15knots, white caps, mild currents and no land in sight.

Conditions were worse than I had expected and forecast a few days prior, but before we left shore we all knew what it was going to be like (excluding the current, which was reasonably mild for this wreck).

During the briefing, how to handle the descent ropes; sequence, 2 hands on at all times, was clearly stated and repeated. Probable currents were discussed; surface current could be different than bottom current, where current shelter should be etc

Post dive #1 the last buddy pair to enter the water didn’t surface and no one had seen them on the ship wreck.

The skipper commenced a search grid and after half an hour+ of searching an eagle-eyed diver spotted a DSMB a km away. Meanwhile the marine police had been notified and a helicopter was en route.

Turns they decided not to hang on the descent ropes. They spent 30mins on the bottom searching for the shipwreck, then ascended (their admission).

They also said we had come close to them whilst searching but none of the dozen or so pairs of eyes on the boat had spotted them.

It’s flabbergasting that they ignored the descent rope instructions and that they didn’t quickly ascend to minimise damage. They should have known that after not running into the ship wreck after a few minutes that they probably weren’t going to, and they risked a serious amount of drift from the boat.

The icing on the cake of stupidity is that one of them is a qualified Dive Instructor. I kid you not!!

If it wasn’t for that eagled-eyed diver and a DSMB the whole scenario might have been in a different sub-forum. At the end of it I still didn’t see any sign from them about the seriousness of the situation.

Well kudos to DSMB's....

A qualified dive instructor these days is someone with a hundred dives.

Agree, I am constantly amazed by the number of people who do not listen to dive briefs and then complain that they do not see the main features or worse, do something like the pair in this post did. Even common sense says if you have not found the wreck in a few minutes and there is a current, you should ascend as soon as possible.

Agree, I am constantly amazed by the number of people who do not listen to dive briefs and then complain that they do not see the main features or worse, do something like the pair in this post did. Even common sense says if you have not found the wreck in a few minutes and there is a current, you should ascend as soon as possible.

Unfortunately common sense is not so common these days o_O

Divegoose

maxbottontime .....right on there was a time someone showed me an advanced card , I said great you've done some solid work , now if they show an instructor card I say (to myself ) so what ......sad............ im kinda glad im on the down hill side of my teaching days

I have seen enough lousy new divers to convince myself that some instructors are only interested in collecting the fees and nothing else.

I agree 100 %

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom