Ikelite DS51 Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firdaus Buhari

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all, i'm pretty new to underwater photography and my ikelite housing and strobe has held up well over the past few dives but after a while in storage this happened, I forgot to remove the batteries and now after swapping out to new ones, no power still.

Can any advice if this can be cleaned out, spoke to Ikelite and they advised me to try works cleaner if, and if it still fails- to send it in.

Am located in Australia and will be a hassle to mail to and fro the states. Was wondering has anyone solved this problem before? Thanks so much in advance :)

Attachments

• IMG_5711.JPG
    IMG_5711.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 208
Hi all, i'm pretty new to underwater photography and my ikelite housing and strobe has held up well over the past few dives but after a while in storage this happened, I forgot to remove the batteries and now after swapping out to new ones, no power still.

Can any advice if this can be cleaned out, spoke to Ikelite and they advised me to try works cleaner if, and if it still fails- to send it in.

Am located in Australia and will be a hassle to mail to and fro the states. Was wondering has anyone solved this problem before? Thanks so much in advance :)

Try using a eraser at the end of a pencil to see if you can clear out some of the corrosion at the battery contact points.

It looks like it may need more than eraser. Note the instructions say that the battery compartment is sealed separately to the main part of the strobe and to rinse it out with fresh water if it floods. Based on this I would suggest just that you rinse it out and use something like a scotchbrite scourer on stick to clean all the contacts, you may need to scrape the surfaces to dislodge to corrosion products. Afterwards rinsing thoroughly with clean water and drying.

I would suggest removing the o ring before doing this and thoroughly cleaning the groove afterwards

You will need to add some sort of acid to get much of the gunk out. If the battery compartment is really sealed (I don't have experience with Ike) then use some diet Coke (lots of phosphoric acid there) and soak for a few minutes then rinse with DI or distilled water several times.
Bill

The manual I found online says it is sealed. If you confirm that try washing it out, but as I said take special care of the o-ring and its groove.

Back
Top Bottom