ikelite lx5 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akhlut

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just received an ikelite housing (6171.05) for my Panasonic LX5. Very disappointed as some housing push buttons (menu,display,q.menu) do not line up with the camera buttons and several others only just. Housing going back for an ikelite replacement, hope that this problem is only with this unit.
I presume that Uk & US LX5 cameras are the same?

You might want to cross post this to the Ikelite forum. Believe it or not, there was a case in the past of a Canon model, I think the S90, that had different dimensions in the European version so the buttons did not touch the camera. Anyway, I know they will resolve this immediately for you.

Wondering if you were able to get this sorted out? I'd love to see any pictures that you are able to get from this casing. Also to get some feedback on what your thoughts are cause this is likely the only housing in this price range I can afford for my LX5 as well. Thanks!

You might want to cross post this to the Ikelite forum. Believe it or not, there was a case in the past of a Canon model, I think the S90, that had different dimensions in the European version so the buttons did not touch the camera. Anyway, I know they will resolve this immediately for you.

They also made the first S90 cases so they destroyed the camera..and designed the latch pins so they fell out after about 50 dives.

You are correct that they will fix it, but it is at your cost...and they only fix the case. From what I can tell, they don't spend a lot of time on their lower cost cases and let the customers find the problems...

I think you are ok, as long as you are not on their bleeding edge of a new case..

Thanks for the update. That's unfortunate. I was really hoping that Ikelite case for the LX5 would have better reviews.

Did they accept the return and give you a refund at least? I sure hope so. Wondering who else has gotten a hand of the Ikelite case and wondering what their experiences are like. Searches all over the net do not reveal much reviews on it.

Hope you have better luck with the new case you have. It can be damn frustrating spending so much and not have it work as expected.

This issue has been discussed in the Ikelite manufacturer's forum. The original problem seems to have been a quality issue with one or two units early on. One dealer posted that he tested all his 5 units in inventory and found them to work OK. This housing has a back held on by clamps, no hinge, so hinge wear is a non-concern in this case. This type of case is very sturdy.

Ikelite has the only LX5 housing at $600, and it comes with a TTL converter for Ikelite strobes. I value the housing at say $400 and the TTL converter at $200. The 10bar housing costs $710 without TTL converter, but with more ports options and smaller size.

It seems to me the Ikelite is a lower cost system, unless you want wide domes. The Panasonic LX5 seems to be one of the best cameras available for underwater, so it's good to have a couple of choices of Housing choices for it.

The ikelite housing was returned without issue.......guess i was just unlucky...i would still recommend ikelite dslr housings....i am very pleased with with the 10bar housing with everything working as it should...i would have liked the hard wire ttl option but i have now swapped the ike strobe for an inon z240 which works great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom