Ikelite sees the light: New Fiber Optic Adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slowhands

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ikelite has announced formal release of the Fiber Optic Adapter, price $80 ??? See:
Fiber Optic Adapter for DS Substrobes

This is cute. Look at the thumbnails below. It plugs directly into the strobe, so you need no electrical cable and one less O-ring. It can accept both Sea&Sea fiber plugs and Inon plugs, at least the ones pictured. Kudos for the mechanical design.

Limitations: It is manual only, so you set strobe power on the strobe. It works only on DS strobes, current models. And your camera has to be able to emit a flash; unfortunately many Ikelite DSLR housings do not allow the flash to raise, so... check yours. [In another forum, I recall seeing a hotshoe LED flasher that might be able to drive this optically even with the flash closed. Experimental, but interesting.]

I suggested this Fiber Adapter product concept to Heinrichs Weikamp a few months ago. They replied there would be insufficient demand to justify the engineering effort and cost. Hmmm...

Attachments

• Ikelite Fiber Adapter rear.jpg
    Ikelite Fiber Adapter rear.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Ikelite Fiber Adapter plugs.jpg
    Ikelite Fiber Adapter plugs.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 139
Great!! I'll be able to use my ds51 with recsea s95 housing

About time they did something. Never much of a fan of their housings but their strobes are outstanding. Limited connectivity has reduced what should have been one of the top selling strobes on the market.

About time they did something. Never much of a fan of their housings but their strobes are outstanding. Limited connectivity has reduced what should have been one of the top selling strobes on the market.

I agree but since it will be manual only (no ttl) it may limit its acceptance.
Bill

One trick to get this new FO to "pickup" a camera flash is to glue/tape a piece of milk carton over your housing, where the flash would emit. The reflection is generally enough to fire the FO connector.

But as an FYI, flash firing in a housing causes heat > causes condensation > use silica gels packs inside housing to keep fog up at lens port from happening. Have two U/W compact digital rigs which I use for years, but switched over to wired flashes, just for that very reason.

Happy shooting.

I agree but since it will be manual only (no ttl) it may limit its acceptance.
Bill
Yes Bill very limited thinking but at least it is a start. Maybe next year after their sales grow. Still you can't see them challenging Inon or SnS can you?

Will work fine in manual mode
Bill

Back
Top Bottom