Ikelite TTL Not Working

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ron99

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello. Hoping somebody might have some advice here. I have an Ikelite housing for a Canon 50D and a DS125 with serial number 13129. So in theory this strobe should provide TTL exposure with this housing. However it doesn't seem to be working. I can shoot manually and adjust the flash by turning the dial on the strobe itself. But adjustments via the housing do not seem to change anything. I tested the continuity of all the pins etc on the cord and they seem fine. So is it possible the electronics in the flash or housing are faulty or am I possibly missing something?

Had same issues with my system. Turned out wire leads inside housing on circuit board not soldered on correctly after ikelite replaced circuit board. Ask for , I believe his name is Steve , in repair.

Just to make sure, you have the 50D housing and not the 40D housing? If you bought it new, you would of course know.

The 50D fits in the 40D housing, but the TTL does not work correctly.

I am trying to remember, but I think the 50D housing has two buttons on the upper portion of the back that the 40D does not have.

Just a thought.

Hello. Hoping somebody might have some advice here. I have an Ikelite housing for a Canon 50D and a DS125 with serial number 13129. So in theory this strobe should provide TTL exposure with this housing. However it doesn't seem to be working. I can shoot manually and adjust the flash by turning the dial on the strobe itself. But adjustments via the housing do not seem to change anything. I tested the continuity of all the pins etc on the cord and they seem fine. So is it possible the electronics in the flash or housing are faulty or am I possibly missing something?

ron99,

This does sound like a problem with your housing circuit board. To be sure, I would recommend sending the housing, cord and strobe to the Ikelite Service Department. Include a copy of this thread or a short cover letter explaining the problem. Once the equipment is evaluated, the service dept. will notify you. Turnaround time is approximately 2 weeks.

Ship to:

Ikelite Underwater Systems
Attn: Service Dept.
50 West 33rd St.,
Indianapolis, In 46208

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Yup. it's a 50D housing. The buttons on the 50D and 40D are identical so the housings appear the same. I had a look at the TTL circuit board and the chip is labeled 50D. I checked all the solder connections and they seem ok. May have to test some of the components such as transistors etc. Not sure how to test the chips. One thing I am wondering about though is that when I opened the hotshoe connector to check the wiring it looks like the green wire that ikelite says is the quench lead goes to the e-TTL pin on the camera rather than the TTL/quench pin. I may try to reverse those and see if that makes a difference. Interestingly, the ready light wire (red) and a blue wire (power for TTL circuitry?) also seem reversed from what I can tell as the red wire goes to the focus light pin on the hot shoe and the blue one goes to the ready light hotshoe pin. I'm confused :-/

---------- Post added July 10th, 2015 at 12:48 PM ----------

Just to add, I'm on a bit of a limited budget at the moment so shipping the lot back to Ikelite for service etc. from Canada isn't feasible at the moment. Especially if they would then charge me to replace any faulty parts.

---------- Post added July 10th, 2015 at 04:51 PM ----------

OK, had a quick check of the transistors and one is definitely dodgy. Two others may be iffy as well.Will replace those and see if that makes a difference...

Please keep us posted as to what you find out. I am very interested as to what the problem may be.

While the 50D and 40D have the same button layout on the camera, the 50D added a Live View function to the direct print button on the 40D. Ikelite housings for the 50D have an additional button on the top back of the housing, where the 40D had only one button on the top left. So the original housings for the two are different. Ikelite did offer an update to 40D housings to make them compatible for either. I am sure some old 40D only housings are still out there.

When I first got a 50D, it would fit in the 40D housing, but the eTTL did not work. I had to get the housing updated to make the 50D eTTL work.

Canon changed the eTTL from the 40D to the 50D.

You indicated that the chip say 50D, so it does appear to be an electronic issue, in the housing, cord, camera or hot shoe. Lots of bases to cover in trouble shooting it.

Did you buy the housing new, or purchase it used?

Has the eTTL worked for you before?

Can you borrow a 40D and check to see if it works with that camera? Or borrow a 50D and check that one.

Good luck on finding a solution.

Please keep us posted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom