Ikelite vs. Equinox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharkdiver289

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
The two housings i'm looking at for my hc32 by sony is the equinox w/ the lcd monitor or the ikelite with the side mount mirror....Which one should I get???? Why? Please help.

Hi!
I just got the HC-42 for christmas and the ikelite housing. It is the same housing you would get - and I also got the mirror but haven't decided about mounting it yet.

Observations - the side mirror is interesting but will be reversed image. So it may be hard to figure out if you are trying to follow a moving object, fish, person, etc. There is some kind of adapter that you plug into the camcorder to make it show the image reversed so the mirror shows it correctly for you but I am not sure where or if I will get it. I am still deciding. The housing is very nice though and I like that I can see inside the housing and will be able to see if any water is getting in, etc. Ikelite makes good quality stuff. The buttons/knobs line up well and are very easy to use. I will be getting into a pool with the rig this week to try it out.... I know I am going to love it.
I know nothing about the Equinox other than it looks like a big tube and awkward. No personal experience!

Good luck choosing!
robint

Go with Ikelite. They rule, and I swear to god, they will fix anything that goes wrong with any of their gear. Top-notch company, very rugged, easy-to-use mechanical housings. Their lights are bright as anything, and have no burn spots.

I have been using the Equinox with my TRV 950 for over two years now and I have had zero issues with it.

I have the monitor back and would highly recommend that as well.

TJ and his team do an excellent job of customer service.

Mike...

Ikelite is looking at making their reversing circuitry available for more housings so the mirror works forward. I think it depends on the video camera too.

well, I got into the pool last night with my rig......... I gotta say I love it.

I had no problem looking through the viewfinder and haven't even mounted the mirror yet. I will mount the mirror for my next test but I am sure I won't necessarily need it.

The Ikelite housing weighs about 10 lbs out of the water but completely neutral underwater....... it was so easy to use. I am very happy with the whole setup! Tonight, video editing....... for now, I gotta get to work!

robint

I have a trv-33E with a ikelite housing and mirror.About the housing i can only sai good things, now about the mirror it is a piece of s*** it has to be to close to the acrylic the image is backwards.I wold not recommend it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom