Illegal Dive Centres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see the logical connection from popularity of an activity to the inevitability of "higher regulation." Scuba in the United States and much of the world has gone unregulated (by the governments) since its inception.

Is it true that "diving is only increasing in popularity"? I guess that's good news for all our divemasters and instructors.

The concern in this case is what an economist would call rent-seeking. A common strategy for manipulating the competitive environment is to artificially raise the obstacles to entry with licensing requirements that are unnecessary or unduly onerous. We don't know enough (from this thread) about the license required in the Canary Islands to make a determination, but that is the concern.

Looks like the case in Singapore Vladimir. Attributable accidents & fatalities mostly belong to the larger operations which is statistically default since they host the larger number of divers as well. But all are going to be made to 'pay' for regulation.

CamC: I know of 'legal' dive operations who are well represented in media and other forms and even dive exhibitions ... whose instructors are unable to rig an emergency O2 delivery system together. Certified instructors of course, and current as well. ;P

Back
Top Bottom