I'm 71 and DAN won't insure me -- now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a notice last week that DAN won't continue my dive insurance because I'm now 71.
Is this new? It certainly has not been true in the past. There is nothing I can find on their website about this.

My understanding is that they will no longer give the Guardian (highest) level insurance to anyone over 70. But they will give the Preferred and Master coverage levels, which are better than nothing.
The OP is from the state of Washington, which I believe only has the guardian policy. From where does your understanding come? How do you know this factoid?

Dan insurance varies from state to state I would gladly pay more for better coverage but I am unfortunately maxed out at the master plan. I will watch to see what you post if there is another dive insurance that you find and can recommend that works in the US as well as abroad.

Cannot comment on age requirements for DAN as I don’t work for DAN, but will say to everyone who dives get insurance. Just last night we had a patient from The Brac. Here to celebrate a b’day. Had a Table 6 last night, med Evac on police helicopter, wife flew over on CA. No insurance. They have to reschedule flight home on Saturday. Had to scramble to find lodging in GC last night. Will stay have to pay for accommodations on The Brac. Even without another treatment he
Is probably just over the $15,000 KYD mark. Get dive insurance and find out what is covered from the insurer in real time directly. It is too costly to get specific info from the internet. Hopefully DAN is not doing a 70 cutoff. As of now there coverage is the best but anything that will help defray the costs is helpful.

The OP is from the state of Washington, which I believe only has the guardian policy. From where does your understanding come? How do you know this factoid?

Simple, I called them:)
but I don't live in Washington

@Peter Guy, are you a member of AAA or an equivalent? Perhaps they'll have a policy that will work for you. Or AARP?

I got a notice last week that DAN won't continue my dive insurance because I'm now 71. Dive Assure won't insure me for incidents in the US.

Anyone know of another company that will insure a diver for dive incidents? My insurance now expires July 31.

Simple, I called them:)
but I don't live in Washington

Good idea! I don't live in WA either but I called and got some more information.

The Guardian policy is administered by a different agency than their other plans and it recently came to their attention that there is max age limit of 70 on that plan.

They have submitted a new plan for approval that is equivalent to Guardian but has no age limit and hope to replace Guardian with the new plan soon.

Unfortunately there are 2 states that had previously only given DAN approval to sell the Guardian policy and these are WA and VT. Their other plans (Master and Preferred) don't have any maximum age limit but they cannot offer them in those 2 states at this time.

Hopefully DAN will get approval for their new plan soon, but in the meantime, if you are a diver over 70 and living in Vermont or Washington, then you should look for another dive insurance company/plan!

As an aside, at the Medicare seminar that I attended last night I learned that supplemental health coverage policies may vary not only by state, but sometimes by counties within states!

The Guardian policy is administered by different agency than their other plans and it recently came to their attention that there is max age limit of 70 on that plan.
So I wonder what it means that I am well over 70 but have the Guardian Plan; does this mean my plan is invalid? Seems like DAN needs to notify us folks who are falling through this crack....

@Peter Guy, are you a member of AAA or an equivalent? Perhaps they'll have a policy that will work for you. Or AARP?

Good idea to check into other policies, but at age 71 I think that most health insurance policies in the US are geared toward supplementing Medicare, which may work when diving in the US but probably not in other countries.

P.S. When checking out various policies, make sure that they don't exclude scuba as an "adventure sport"!

Back
Top Bottom