I'm 71 and DAN won't insure me -- now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wondering why coverage is regulated state by state and not nationally ? And whatever became of discrimination against aging ?

You’re American, no?

And whatever became of age discrimination?
That only applies to employment.

Wondering why coverage is regulated state by state and not nationally ? And whatever became of age discrimination?

I was amazed that medical supplemental insurances are administered locally and vary greatly. Medicare is a standardized, national policy, so why wouldn't they establish national standards for the supplemental and gap insurance programs that provide coverage for Medicare patients?

Wondering why coverage is regulated state by state and not nationally ? And whatever became of age discrimination?
In the US insurance is regulated at the state level because that is the law...

Insurance in the United States - Wikipedia

The McCarran-Ferguson Act specifically provides that the regulation of the business of insurance by the state governments is in the public interest. Further, the Act states that no federal law should be construed to invalidate, impair or supersede any law enacted by any state government for the purpose of regulating the business of insurance, unless the federal law specifically relates to the business of insurance.

National Association of Insurance Commissioners - Wikipedia

...And whatever became of age discrimination?
The insurance industry works on the concept of "fair discrimination" to group people of the same risk together.

In general, someone over 71 has a higher risk of a medical event or death than a 20 year old. Should the 20 year old be discriminated against and forced to pay the same (high) premium as a 71 year old?

The insurance industry works on the concept of "fair discrimination" to group people of the same risk together.

In general, someone over 71 has a higher risk of a medical event or death than a 20 year old. Should the 20 year old be discriminated against and forced to pay the same (high) premium as a 71 year old?

Okay, but they are not offering a higher premium; there are saying "you can't buy dive insurance because you're too old".

And what about other higher-risk groups? It's my understanding that younger drivers and single drivers often pay higher premiums for car insurance than their parents and couplels; so do young, single divers pay higher premiums for dive insurance?

That's BS. They operate on the principal of cherry selection and discard everything else that actually costs money. That's what happens when you allow capitalism into medicine.

A 71 year old could be at some physiological risk due to age. OTOH they are also likely to be very cognizant of their shortcomings and possibly have a pretty impressive background of experience.

A 20 year old is not likely to have a heart attack, but likely has very little experience, and a whole lot of risk taking poorly tempered with any experience. This is a recipe for some rather catastrophic problems. I think we've all been there.

Statistically in diving, who is more likely to have serious medical issues, 20-30 year olds, or 60-70 year olds? Can't say I know for sure. But I do know the difference between THIS 70 year old, and a former 20 year old in this body and the approach to risk taking.

I was amazed that medical supplemental insurances are administered locally and vary greatly. Medicare is a standardized, national policy, so why wouldn't they establish national standards for the supplemental and gap insurance programs that provide coverage for Medicare patients?

I also am exploring options and have attended a seminar for Medicare. The only question I went in with was is there coverage for foreign travel in any of the supplemental plans. As a person who goes out of my state and the country sometimes, I think I have to look at a supplemental plan, as it is in effect whether in or out of my state (the Advantage plan is territorial - local and/or state) and there is a foreign travel emergency benefit - $250 deductible and then the plan covers 80% of the Medicare approved amount up to a lifetime benefit of $50,000. Not much in the scheme of things, but it is something.

In the mean time, I will continue with DAN Guardian and the cheap Allianze plan we purchase with airfare, which has a small medical benefit, and hope there are some improvements in insurance before I hit 70!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom