I'm a rec instructor. I want to be a tec instructor. No tec experience. I'm gonna need your help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL: The OP did not read my offer, or at least did not bother to reply.
Another negative mark on the OP. My original comment stands as written, plus some added weight to the comments that it is a troll post. I'm sorry if all those who wish to give the OP the benefit of doubt are offended.

I've been driving cars for ... a looong time. Do I know the process to become a race car driver? The classes I would need to take? The hierarchy of licenses? No. Do I know the further process to be an instructor to teach people to be race car drivers? Definitely not.

Apparently, my awareness and acumen for driving are very low.
Sure. Tell me what races you have been in and what cars you have run and hopefully what races you have won. If the answer is "none of those" then maybe you should look into "how do I become a race car driver", not "how do I become a race car driving instructor".

>I would not recommend one of the 4-days-and-you're-done type of classes for the first tech training.

I'm surprised that that exists. I've never heard of it. I have studied up on PADI, TDI, and IANTD. Who offers a four day scheme?

I have tons of spare 1st and 2nd stage regs (and SPGs). Do I just have them oxygen cleaned and use them, or, aside from number of ports, are there other specific specs for tec?

Deco for Divers, by Mark Powell, and The Six Skills, by Steve Lewis (aka @Doppler from earlier in this thread).

Thanks for that.

There 3 and 4 day Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures courses out there. But, I don't really want to post specific links here. I don't want to give the impression that I am knocking any specific individual instructor's class.

For regs, you just need the 1st stage O2 Cleaned on any 1st stage that will be used on a cylinder that has more than 40% Oxygen in it. So, basically, your deco regs.

A swivel turret and a 5th Low Pressure port, on the bottom of the 1st stage, are nice to have. They are not requirements.

I don't see a problem with a 4 day AN/DP course when someone is properly prepared before enrolling. That preparation should include a decent amount of experience in either doubles or sidemount.

Your first exposure to that gear should NOT be AN/DP.

I don't see a problem with a 4 day AN/DP course when someone is properly prepared before enrolling. That preparation should include a decent amount of experience in either doubles or sidemount.

Your first exposure to that gear should NOT be AN/DP.

I agree. It's just that, in my very limited experience, I have met or read about VERY few prospective AN/DP students who are, as you put it, properly prepared before enrolling. Certainly, I and every one of the students I know who did AN/DP with the instructor I did it with were not remotely prepared in that way. Thus also why, in all those cases, AN/DP took at least 2 months and usually longer.

I agree. It's just that, in my very limited experience, I have met or read about VERY few prospective AN/DP students who are, as you put it, properly prepared before enrolling. Certainly, I and every one of the students I know who did AN/DP with the instructor I did it with were not remotely prepared in that way. Thus also why, in all those cases, AN/DP took at least 2 months and usually longer.

My AN/DP surely did not take two months. @kensuf was my instructor and I think I was pretty well prepared for my class. It was a good time.

I've had too many people come and try to do it in 4 days and when I stopped the class on the 2nd or 3rd day, they got upset. So now, although standards allow otherwise, I won't take someone into AN/DP that hasn't completed an Intro to Tech / Sidemount or Intro to Cave program.

LOL: The OP did not read my offer, or at least did not bother to reply.

However, it was serious.

You're always welcome to audit a class you know!

And, the OP should take you up on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom