I'm building a save-a-dive kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the FIRST things I did when I found this board was dig in and build a serious DryBox.

I had a SAD (save a dive...get it... blah) kit. It was limp. On my first dive trip after joining the board, I blew the Viton O-Ring on my DIN regulator - did I have any? NO. Next stop was my zipper froze on my bag...I did I have any Zip Lub wax...NO. When I got back to the dock after the 3 day trip, I found my truck key was not in my bag... did I have a spare in my SAD kit? NO.

Of course I did have a spare mouthpirce, fin strap and mask strap.

SAD.

So I scoured the board and the magazines for the next few weeks and kept a list going of all of the stuff people have in their kits...some is way over the top, IMO. Some is spot-on. I moved from that lame tube, to small Pelican (1100) box, to the Pelican 1400 box I now use. It went from a SAD kit to a full on drybox.

You'll be directed to all the threads (and there are several good ones here) on the board. My box has a ton of stuff in it. A ton. But here are are few of the winners that have earned a perminate place in the box:

SPARE TRUCK KEY
Copy of C-Cards
Owners Manual for Computer
O-ring Kit
Paint Marker
Small Dykes (cutting Tie-Wraps...wanna be a hero on a boat? these help)
Ice Drops (gotta have pretty breath...)
Film canister filled with quarters
Mini-Mag Light (gets dark in the bunkhoue on most boats)
Travel Kleenex (dive snot sucks...)
Some Casheesh
Some real tools (small adjustable wrench, real pliers, etc )
Lighter (to fix the frays)
Bungee - 1/16. 1/8, 1/4 and some surgical tubing
DUCT TAPE (the remnants of a roll...not a huge roll!
OTC Meds - Bonine, Advil, Sudafed
Drysuit repair kit
Talc, Zip Wax
Small can WD40
2 Small Towels
SS Split rings (double as zipper pulls on bags, etc.)
Brush, PT ties, spare lid (lost 2 hats... nice wind)
BigA$$ insulated Mug (most boats offer drinks, but only have those lame styro cups...)
Spare Batts for computer and lights

I could go on and on. Read the lists, start your own list and write stuff down. Do not underestimate the size of the box you'll need. My 1400 is pretty big, but it still fits in the reg bag pocket of my dive bag, and I throw the reg back over my shoulder. I wouldn't ever go on a dive without my drybox. Its got me out of a jam, and several divers on many of my trips a number of times.

Plus its fun to build one. Gotta put all those stickers someplace.

Enjoy -

K

Make sure you have some extra hoses...especially HP hoses...they always seem to go at the worst times.

7 strand Military Para-Cord - 1001 uses and very strong.

Bicycle Innertube - Many uses.

Vice Grip Pliers

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
Vice Grip Pliers

Johnathan .....not to flame you or start trouble but...

What the he11 would you use Vice Grips on besides the boat?

Sorry, but I believe vice grips are only used to destroy what you originally were trying to hold.

If you are careful with them, they can be used to take off reg hoses, even weird connectors like the ones ScubaPro uses. (I am not going to buy the special tool SP sells for this.) If you don't pay attention to what you are doing, you can scratch everything up though. I will usually wrap a piece of cloth around the fitting before trying to remove it.

Mo2vation once bubbled...
(Blah blah blah)

(Big long list)

Some Casheesh

(more big long list)

K

Cash is great to have in your save a dive kit... never seem to have any (or if I do, not in the right denominations) for tipping boat crews, or other stupid little things that come up. I usually don't bring my wallet with me on the boat, I have a bad habit of losing things.

On another note re: money on dive boats...

Ever been on one of those boats where they try to sell you crap after you get on? "Hey, anyone want to try a nitrox intro dive?" or "Hey, we'll snap some pictures of you underwater!", or "Hey, how bout a 100 cf tank!".

It seems like this is almost exclusively a padi dive center thing.. heheh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom