I'm Finished....Finally!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (except for confirming all paperwork is in order and application completed tomorrow night).

Just finished my 400 yd. swim last week and earned a leisurely 3, which put my total at 15 for the water stamina. Sunday we took a break, but completed our DAN DEMP course, which qualified us for DES. Sent in my paperwork for that this morning along with my Master Scuba Diver application. Tonight I assisted with a small class finishing up their confined water dives. At the same time I got to practice my skills, which we should complete on Thursday. Friday is another classroom session, and Saturday beach dives with the OW class, and completing our Rescue scenario. It's a lot of work. The final exams we'll take on the 18th. :wink:

Congrats Shark! As long as you read the book and use the knowledge workbook questions you should have no problem with the final exams. I took them and I was glad I had studied the workbook, encyclopedia, and DM textbook. good luck

Did 1/2 off the 20 Scuba Skills tonight, including the equipment exchange while buddy breathing. Mostly 4s on the skills, with the equipment exchange being the most challenging. Once we had our communication down with the breathing it made things much easier. We switched masks first, which in hindsight should have been the last item. Mine, or my buddy's in this case, kept flooding, and I had to clear it several times as his strap wasn't too secure. Then, my tank was almost empty and was a little bouyant, but we managed to get through with it. It helped for us to slow it down and take a few breaths before continuing. I think the communication thing was key, since I didn't always have my hand free to give the reg back, while he did the same. Eye contact or a nod is all it took. The other pair was getting through it easier, even after the BC exchange, then they had issues with buddy breathing and masks and didn't complete the excercise. I'm sure they'll get it during our next and last pool session. It is good to have that complete! :D

Congrats on getting this much done. I remember all the instructors telling us how the equipment exchange was the hardest part. Not to me it wasn't. As Shark mentioned, it is all about communication and patience. Have a plan and stick with it, and if you need to slow down and take turns taking a couple of breaths, do it, then get back to your plan.

By the way, it wouldn't hurt to review your Open Water, and other student books you've used, before taking the tests.

SharkDZ,

Way to go! I think starting with the fins first works best. Did you have to exchange weights as well? It is not a requirement, but my instructor and others like to include it. Once getting a rhythm going with regards to breathing is goes fairly well. It took me and another DMC 35 minutes to exchange and then re-exchange gear. How long did the exchange take you?

Thanks for sharing,

AZ

Congrats everyone on progressing....and Dartref for finishing!! :cheers:

The equipment exchange was really easy for me....and when we were done the instructor made us change back! I've also done it with other candidates to help them get through it.

Start with as much air as possible. Use the tank with the most between you, and you can always switch donor/receiver if the tank runs low. That's a problem to be solved and the whole point of the exercise.

The key is to go slow. It's not timed or scored per se, just pass/fail. If you start to get rushed and feel air starved, just stop and sit there buddy breathing until you calm down and get refreshed. No problem sitting there for 10 minutes staring at each other while you catch your breath. Have a plan and discuss it before you start. I find it's best (for me) to do bcd rig first, then fins, then mask last....wear the bare minimum gear as it's less you have to switch, and keep weights (bcd integrated) to a minimum. Just go slow, take your time and rest as much as you need.

I'm from old school ditch/don training so it's no problem for me...but if you've never done this sort of thing, practice it in the pool. Simple really, toss all your gear in the deep end, dive in and don't come up until you're fully kitted up. If you master this you won't have any issue with the gear exchange.

SharkDZ...

The equipment exchange was really quite easy, I thought, until the end when my partner bolted for the surface when he couldn't get his mask on. PISSED!

Has anyone else ever heard of a candidate hyaving to re-do a number of skills during the grading portion?

Ian

ianw2:
Has anyone else ever heard of a candidate having to re-do a number of skills during the grading portion?
For sure ! I don't even score my DMTs the first time they do a skill circuit. I try to get them up to the standard of getting all 5s before I take them for a 'final evaluation' of the skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom