I'm mad at Dive-aholic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya'll should plan for Springfest. :)

I might decide to wander down that way and join you for a dive or two as well.

... that would be very cool ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... that would be very cool ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yep, I'd love to meet up with ya'll. I plan to be there sometime early next year anyway, this will just give me a date to try and shoot for.

When is Springfest? I'm scheduling into April already . . .

SpringFest is great, you guys/gals come out, it'll be worthwhile.

the bands are pretty high on those tanks. Are the tops secured with quick clips and then popped around the valves? Didn't seem like they were wrapped around the neck from the video.

The bands are exactly where they need to be. Moving them would throw both the trim of the cylinders and Lynne and Peter's trim off. I don't use the standard bungees that come with most SM rigs. They usually don't secure the cylinders high enough or snug enough, at least for me. So I made my own that work much better for me.

I don't know whether the bands are standard or not, but I will tell you one thing -- they were PERFECT!

OK -- newbie question here -- WHY are the current rigs in need of so much individualization? For example, I saw Edd take a rig out of the box and the next thing he did was to cut two straps off it! I can take a DSS rig out of the box and "customize" it for me by design -- so why can't I do that with SM? What needs to change in the basic design(s) that are being marketed?

Or is that just too stupid of a question to answer?

----
Hmmm -- May in Marianna for SM training or drive to Monterrey for Lobos diving? -- hmmm -- And I just signed up to teach some classes in May -- hmmm -- When might this be happening?

. . . , I saw Edd take a rig out of the box and the next thing he did was to cut two straps off it!

:confused: What straps did he cut off?

OK -- newbie question here -- WHY are the current rigs in need of so much individualization? For example, I saw Edd take a rig out of the box and the next thing he did was to cut two straps off it! I can take a DSS rig out of the box and "customize" it for me by design -- so why can't I do that with SM? What needs to change in the basic design(s) that are being marketed?

#1 - Because there are so many different reasons people are sidemounting.
#2 - It's still a fairly new thing. While sidemount has been around for decades, we have had commercial rigs for less than a decade, and only 2 commercial rigs for more than 2.5 years.
#3 - The first 2 rigs available commercially were designed by sidemount divers. With the exception of the Razor (which has limited application), the other commercially designed rigs were not designed by sidemount divers. A couple of them may have had input by divers who dive sidemount, but not sidemount divers.

Hmmm -- May in Marianna for SM training or drive to Monterrey for Lobos diving? -- hmmm -- And I just signed up to teach some classes in May -- hmmm -- When might this be happening?

Go out and do a dive in backmounted doubles. I think that might help you answer your own question... :cool2:

Jax:
What straps did he cut off?

He cut the bottom of the shoulder straps off the back of the harness so they could be relocated to a different position that works better for some people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom