I'm negligent!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Inspector#2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I completely forgot to thank Alan (Alan 243), and his buddies from Salt Lake City, for taking me to Homestead Crater for a great diving experience. It came at the right time and the 91 degree water was fantastic!!

Thanks again guys,
Dave

The area you mention I've not heard of....

so let's here a dive report!

The dive site is in the March 2002 issue of skin diver. A great, although blurry, picture is on the table of contents page. The site is an old geyser which no longer errupts so all that is left is a 60' hole with very warm water.
We were in SLC conducting aerial coverage with Blackhawks freezing our a**es off. I had contacted Alan via this board and he said he could arrange the dive. It costs $20 to access the water if you have all the gear needed, to include tanks. The altitude is around 6-7000' (I think). A hole has been bored in the side of the crater to provide a small dive shop and changing area with a barrier to the outside air temp.
At the bottom of the crater is a soft calcium carbonate sediment that settles rapidly when stirred up. A few logs lay on the bottom along with stuff the swimmers on the surface drop. At 20' a nice platform is anchored to the verticle crater walls. Three boyancy course obstacles float at about 25' providing a nice area to practive.
There is a wagon wheel hanging at about 40' which is really out of place when your diving. The best thing was lying on the bottom facing upward through the clear water at the light shinning down through the crater's top hole and seeing the swimmers, other diveres, and the bubbles rising upward. Quite nice!
Just outside is a resort called the Homestead with a restaurant, some very nice rooms, and I believe under all the snow is a golf course.
The crater is small enough that after two dives you have seen everything possible but it is great for warming up in.
Thanks again Alan.

Dave

sounds like a great place to dive to me ,
i looked hard for the march issue but i only had febuary of skin diver now i got to get march !

Dave:
Great Dive report. Thanks for sharing!
Glad to see the Olympics went well with your hard work.
I'm going to move this post to North America under Travel.
Look for it there, OK?

:gorgeous:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom