I'm paying retail for equipment from LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bullswan

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What do you think I should do?

Last monday I asked my LDS (where my son and I took our dive classes) to put together a Scubapro MK2 w/ R190 and a R190 octo for my son for Christmas.

I didn't ask for the price but figured since this guy was so good about answering all my stupid questions blah, blah, blah.

When the time came to pay I just flipped him my Visa and had to run to an appointment. Now I look at the charge and it was $ 405. That is broken down to $ 265 for the 1st and 2nd stage and $ 140 for the octo.

I looked at a couple of websites this morning and found that that equates to FULL RETAIL pricing. One shop (Leisurepro) would have sold the package for $ 149.90 + 89.95 or $ 240.

What would you do if you were in this position?
Greg

I'd tell him I'd be happy to settle for a year's free air fills since they don't offer discounts to former students :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

Bullswan:

Last monday I asked my LDS (where my son and I took our dive classes) to put together a Scubapro MK2 w/ R190 and a R190 octo for my son for Christmas.

I didn't ask for the price but figured since this guy was so good about answering all my stupid questions blah, blah, blah.

When the time came to pay I just flipped him my Visa and had to run to an appointment. Now I look at the charge and it was $ 405. That is broken down to $ 265 for the 1st and 2nd stage and $ 140 for the octo.

I looked at a couple of websites this morning and found that that equates to FULL RETAIL pricing. One shop (Leisurepro) would have sold the package for $ 149.90 + 89.95 or $ 240.

What would you do if you were in this position?
Greg
Greg,

You're kidding right? What did you expect to pay at a retail store?:confused:

If you've paid more than you wanted to, let that be a lesson to you to ask about the price next time and perhaps to a little comparison shopping before you plunk down your Visa.

There's nothing 'To Do' about this now. Just know better for next time.

Brian

I guess I'm not as trusting as Bullswan. I always ask in advnce how much any service or goods will cost.

And he had to run an errand before he could sign the bill of sale and/or Visa receipt? Hmmm....I don't think I've ever been in that big of a hurry.

Bullswan:
Buy the rest of your equipment at LeisurePro, ScubaToys, etc.

Hemlon:
And he had to run an errand before he could sign the bill of sale and/or Visa receipt? Hmmm....I don't think I've ever been in that big of a hurry.

Maybe thats why it cost so much. . .

BTW Welcome to the board :D

Benthic:
Greg,

You're kidding right? What did you expect to pay at a retail store?:confused:

If you've paid more than you wanted to, let that be a lesson to you to ask about the price next time and perhaps to a little comparison shopping before you plunk down your Visa.

There's nothing 'To Do' about this now. Just know better for next time.

Brian

What he said. Uninformed buyers make the most lucrative customers.

Can a ScubaPro dealer sell a reg at less than suggested retail? I thought they couldn't. LP gets away with it by offering their warranty/service in place of ScubaPro's.

Ask for the prices before you pay next time. :wink:

I mean no offence to you but, you must be the typical LDS customer. I can never understand how some LDS's expect to charge full retail when there are so many online alternatives. :huh:

sjspeck:
Can a ScubaPro dealer sell a reg at less than suggested retail? I thought they couldn't. LP gets away with it by offering their warranty/service in place of ScubaPro's.
Scubapro dealers can only discount current ScubaPro products by 10%. Leisure Pro is not an Authorized ScubaPro dealer and products purchased from Leisure Pro do not carry the ScubaPro warranty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom