I'm paying retail for equipment from LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow that looks very nice, so when can I pay you to make one for me :)

Here is my little experience with local and not that local Dive Shops.

1) NYC may be the capital of the World but it's definitely not the capital of Diving World so LDS are pretty limited. When i was looking to take an OW PADI, there weren't that many options to choose from so i went with this company. Results:
$390 for a set of studying material (A book and Dvds), a test and a confined dive ... plus $405 for snorkel, mask and fins. I didn't want to do my first OW dive in Dutch Springs so i postponed it to my trip to Australia.

2) In Cairns (Australia), ProDive garantees an OW sertificate for AU$ 695 ( US$540) which includes classes, all learning material and a 3 days live-aboard tour.
I did an Ocean referral and after a trip i got 20% off entire store marchandise ( and they have a HUGE store), plus unlimited access to my diving instructor - whenever and whatever i need help, he is always there for me to advise and encourage.

Time passed by and finally i came to the point to get my own regulator and a computer. Regulator came from LP and a computer from one of the members of SB. When i was informed that everything had arrived i called my NYC diving school to find out if i could use their pool facility and a private class with an instuctor to test my new gear. What do you think was a reaction when i told them that "No, i havent purchased it from you, i bought it from LP and some private person"?
A LDS stuff offended me ( and i don't mean just yelling at me). More... she refused to accomodate my request for a private lesson.:confused:
Needless to say that initial advises on regulator and computer choices came from my Australian DI, who knew my needs, my level of diving and my potentials.

So, who do you think i will address next time? To my local dive shop that charged me $400 for a piece of rubber (that's how my friends call my super expensive fins) and managed to offend me for not buying gear from them or to "not that local" dive shop in Cairns, Australia, when being half way around the World they still are willing to assist me with my quesitons?

As for LP, i had only positive experience with them. I have been to the store 3 times and even though i believe they deal with tons of people every day, they still remembered not only my name but my previous purchases and questions i asked.
Grey/black market exists and always will. Money don't fall form the skies to my pockets so sometimes i need to make a decision - either to get a super equipment from an authorized dealer with a life warranty and all other perks ( remember - it won't eliminate your chance to be humiliated on the phone by a authorized dealer representitive) or to take a reasonable ( well estimated) risk and go with people who are not authorized but never let you down (yet) and were nice and polite with you (at all times).

Benthic:
Price fixing is an agreement between business competitors selling the same product or service regarding its pricing. In general, it is an agreement intended to ultimately push the price of a product as high as possible, leading to profits for all the sellers. Price-fixing can also involve any agreement to fix, peg, discount or stabilize prices. The principal feature is any agreement on price, whether express or implied.

(Above quoted from Wikipedia)

Brian, thanks for the definition. Again, the pricing practices of ScubaPro and Aqualung (they do the same) are not violations of the sherman anti-trust act nor do they constitute price fixing.

Joe

No, nor is wikipedia normally the most reliable source for such things, since according to that definition it probably would apply, but in reality what scubapro does is quite a common practice.

Sveta:
Time passed by and finally i came to the point to get my own regulator and a computer. Regulator came from LP and a computer from one of the members of SB. When i was informed that everything had arrived i called my NYC diving school to find out if i could use their pool facility and a private class with an instuctor to test my new gear. What do you think was a reaction when i told them that "No, i havent purchased it from you, i bought it from LP and some private person"?
A LDS stuff offended me ( and i don't mean just yelling at me). More... she refused to accomodate my request for a private lesson.:confused:

I believe that is intolerable behaviour on their part of the anonymous LDS. If they really did as you say merely because you excercised free will, then I would be tempted to expose them. I thinks it's unreasonable for any store to expect loyalty to them and to turn business away because you choose not to buy retail from them.
I did the same thing as you (purchased through on-line) and although I didn't get the pool for free I was able to get access to the local Boston area LDS instructor & pool session to test out my equipment. If I had purchased from them, the pool session would have been free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom