• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

I'm still cold!

Discussion in 'Women's Perspectives' started by annmarie722, Feb 13, 2018.

1. MrBigfins

MrBigfins Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Consider the thermolution heated vest. I use it when I dive wet in very cold (30-40s) under my 7/8mm semidry and it is very toasty. They have different grades, go with the highest that can to extend battery life. I typically get 2.5 hours on med for the blue level I think

2. Kimela

Kimela Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
  3. lamarpaulski

lamarpaulski Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    yep, hooded vest. doesn't seem to give you that neck choking feeling either for unknown reason. easy to pack too.

Kimela likes this.
  4. pelan-pelan

pelan-pelan Barracuda

Hood - mine's 1.5 mm neoprene and it makes a huge difference. I'm sure booties make a big difference. And I wear a fleece inside my Lavacore. It traps the water, inhibits flushing, and the trapped water soon warms up.

Counter intuitive - but how about wearing less? I had problems and was layering neoprene. I thought I was comfortable. Got so fed up with wriggling in and out of the suit/top that I just went in wearing one suit - and was much warmer. I must have been much freer in my movements and blood flow through the skin must have been less compressed, more relaxed, although I didn't really notice it. As one of the group said, any kind of stress or strain robs you of at least a degree. The soft fleece jumper inside the soft Lavacore suit doesn't restrict. Tried a rash guard - never again - the compression just chilled me.

5. Kimela

Kimela Barracuda

I’m currently in Roatan (Anthony’s Key) and was really chilled wearing rash guards, a 2 mil jacket and 5 mil boots. I tried adding a vest but the extra weight I had to use wasn’t worth it. I added my Lavacore socks and - unbelievably - it was just enough to keep me comfortable.

6. outofofficebrb

outofofficebrb HARRO HUNNAYYY

Circling back to this thread to say that I've discovered something amazing since originally posting in this thread. Frogskins from Probe. Way better than Lavacore and Sharkskin. Here's why below. Please scroll down to my update post-dives a couple of posts below that one. I am in love. I plan to get the wetsuit next. Don't miss reading the OP's review as well. It's a great review. I can't stop talking about it to anyone who will listen. They don't bag out or stretch underwater and the fleece lining dries in under 10 minutes. NO wet or cold piece to put on for repetitive dives!

Probe Frogskins--Best Dive Skins Yet?

7. Rickk

Rickk Nassau Grouper

In a pinch you can always pour warm water into your wetsuit before you splash.

Saves the heat necessary to warm the cold water that will get in anyway.

If cold after the dive, pour in some more warm water.

Never more than body temperature 38C max.

I have seen people ice dive with this trick in 7 mm farmer john plus shorty (with hood and gloves as well)

eleniel likes this.
  8. Wathdoc

Wathdoc Angel Fish

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499

At the moment diving in 6 degree C, obviously in drysuit. Cannot but agree with above. Certainly fit is vital to
    prevent flushing. I use wet gloves and find that a minimal ingress of water keeps you much warmer as in the hood. But keeping warm in between dives helps greatly with being comfortable on the second dive.
    I suspect those people who mock are either immature or inexperienced. I dive where it is rarely above 16/18 degrees c in the sea, diving in these conditions does not make you immune from hypothermia, but perhaps more cold tolerant. Anyone who mocks people for keeping warm ,which reduces so many risks, is foolish.

9. UTscuba

UTscuba Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199