I'm working on getting my gear and I'm new... so...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kathleen Sea Hare

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
...hello! ..so I am petite, short and fuller than most my height, and so I noticed that when I was borrowing suit from the shop that the suits were hard to fit me so I plan to get a suit first. I am interested in cold water diving because I am close to Northern CA. Does anyone have feedback on what gear you bought first? Like I was thinking my next investment to be a dive computer, then a regulator, then a BCD. But then I'm debating getting a BCD before the regulator. Does it really make a difference if I just rent a BCD and not get one? Thank you for any feedback! :)

My wife has found a world of difference between the rental BCDs she's used and ones available to purchase that fit her quite well.

A short steel backplate and wing would probably be way better for you. You’re going to need to carry a lot of weight for that cold water and just read up about bp/w on here before you buy any bc!

You’re right the first thing you should buy is a wet suit that fits well…If you’re not comfortable and warm you’re not gonna have fun! Especially since you will need seven mil for Northern California water and that is a thick wetsuit, so if it doesn’t fit right it will be really hard to get on. A lot of gals like you like the stretchy Henderson wetsuits, and some people simply have to go custom. If you end up doing a lot of cold water diving you may eventually end up in a dry suit.

+1! on your decision to get neoprene that fits properly as your first purchase. Absolutely right.
You can rent virtually everything else, but the key is finding a shop that rents gear that is well maintained. Too many shops just rent out regulator sets that breathe very stiffly, because that requires less frequent service than regs that are tuned light.
I wouldn't make a computer a purchase before regs, if only because many shops won't let you use your computer instead of the one they want to rent you with the regulators. It's too much trouble for them to take two minutes to switch hoses. You could do it yourself, but you'd need to be taught. And as you gain experience, you may regret your computer choice. You probably won't be pushing the envelope just yet, so any computer will likely serve you well.
Once again, find a shop that treats you right, in exchange for maybe buying through them later, instead of online.
Renting bcd's is a great way to find one that truly fits you properly, before you plunk down $200-600. Backplate and wing is very popular on Scubaboard. I dive that way, too. But there are good back-inflate bcd's as well for the occasional diver. Setting up a wing is an exercise in frustration for a new diver. And if you like a jacket, that's fine! They make you feel very safe at the surface. It's not like it'll be the only bcd you ever buy. That's why we have eBay...to sell stuff!

My recommendation? Aqualung SolaFx 8mm/7mm soft neoprene chest zipper for NorCal waters, or a Henderson. Hard to get into, but very warm. Lots of sizes.

Then find out what brand of regs are serviced locally. Being able to get good local service is important. Once you have a locally serviced brand, see if you can rent the various models. In any case, get lots of advice before you buy.

Neoprene, regs, computer, bcd.

My 2¢.

Cheers! Safe diving!

Have at least a double digit number of dives before investing in a considerable amount of equipment.

Forget the computer until you know how tables work for a while, even then you don’t need a computer, just a bottom timer and slate. But get a cheap one if it makes you happy. Lots of people highly highly preach about the safety of computers, those people don’t know their own NDLs off by heart and are therefore an unreliable source who are too dependent on computers.

Get a backplate and wing setup, look for a good deal on a forum or shop, don’t listen to shop owners, a lot of them try to sell you expensive gear you don’t need. Get a standard harness with no quick disconnects.

As for regs and wing maybe wait a few more dives . You don’t want to get into the sport and then realise you don’t like it after you’ve accumulated all your gear.

Last edited:
For a huge majority of the divers, something like suunto zoop will be quite enough for their whole diving career. IMHO

Rsingler, does someone still buy something else than wrist mounted computers?

Rsingler, does someone still buy something else than wrist mounted computers?

Yeah, there are a whole group of folks who like air integration, but are wary of transmitter reliability. For them, a hose to the HP port gives their computer the tank information for gas time remaining.

And for folks who do a lot of compass work, being able to extend your compass in front of you is far more accurate than looking down at a compass held on your wrist (closer to your steel tank?). If you like some of these magical computer compasses (Atomic Cobalt comes to mind), a console computer still has a place.

But you're right. There's nothing like hanging at a safety stop in current with your computer on the same wrist as the descent line. It leaves the other arm free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom