I'm worried about my dive buddy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JT2

Reaction score
We have just recently gotten a new dive buddy in our group and he has got a problem that is worrying me a little. He was certified in December lastyear and has about 20 dives not counting his check out dives, and I have been with him on all of these post check out dives, and whenever we exit the water his mouth starts watering and he feels like he has to vomit, and usually does a couple of times and then he feels fine. He sometimes says that it feels like his wetsuit is maybe too tight around his upper abdomen and or diaphragm area, his wetsuit doesn't seem to look too tight though, and could that even be the problem anyway? I was wondering if it was maybe possible that he is swallowing air, ad if so how do I help him with this problem? Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject???
PS Anxiety does not seem to be a factor as he is very comfortable in and under the water...Thanks!:confused:

I'd sure have it checked by a diving doc... from this layman's position it sounds like he's probably swallowing air at depth, as you suspect. But a doc's review is in order.
Rick

JT2 once bubbled...
[ whenever we exit the water his mouth starts watering and he feels like he has to vomit, and usually does a couple of times and then he feels fine. He sometimes says that it feels like his wetsuit is maybe too tight around his upper abdomen and or diaphragm area, : [/B]

Could he possibly have a problem w/ gastroesophogeal reflux? Of course, he should see a doc about this. but maybe he should avoid eating an hour before he dives.

I hope this gets fixed soon!!

First off... talk to a doctor.

With the disclaimer out of the way... ask him if he thinks he might have been swallowing water. I know some people that get sick if they swallow any amount of salt water...

I had a custom made suit made last year that I sent back and had them remake it because the suit was so tight around the arms that the veins in my hands would start to bulge. I often felt dizzy before the dive with the suit on and only felt better when I got in the water and a little deeper cuz when the suit compressed I felt comfortable. I did dry heave and puke a couple of times on the service with the suit on. It was very exhausting to have on before I got into the water. I have since received my new replacement and it fits perfect and I have never puked againg or got exhausted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom