Image is really red underwater with red filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With all the color correction options available in post-production digital editing, can someone explain to me why anyone needs to use a heavy, "light-eating" red filter to capture underwater video?

With all the color correction options available in post-production digital editing, can someone explain to me why anyone needs to use a heavy, "light-eating" red filter to capture underwater video?
So that you don't have to do post-production.

What's best to invest in? A light or filters ? And always filming in 4K protune or no protune ? What's your best setup :)?

I bought a cheap red filter from China on eBay and it worked great from about 35' to 60' but was a bit too red for shallower depths. I bought some more red filters from the same guy and they were way too red, even past 60'. So much for consistency. Like Chairman said, if you go with a good company you will know what you are getting. Currently I am using a "Pink" filter (light red that is probably very comparable to the Flip Filter Shallow filter) and it seems to be great down to 50' or so but I won't know for sure until I get back to Cozumel. I was using it in some "green" water near Puerto Vallarta so it's not conclusive.

Using a video light is mainly for up close and IMO is a great tool but only for up close. My Pink filter is permanently attached to my housing but when used together with my particular light it does not look too red. If you have a "flip" filter then you can remove the filter when using the light. However, when using a detachable filter I sometimes got glare from behind and you need to be sure to keep your filter clean so you don't get spots and bubbles on it.

I don't know about the GoPro but it may have a special setting for underwater which could affect your choice of filters. I use "Cloudy" with my pink filter underwater and get good results but use "Auto" above the water because I can't remove the filter.

Please be advised that I am also new to this and was working on a new and improved filter just a few minutes ago but I think I'm making progress :)

I tried an Orange filter and everything was too green. I tried a Yellow filter and everything was, again, too green. I have a Purple filter that is supposed to be for green water but for now I'm pleased with my Pink filter.

The video light I am using (which I'm happy with) is a cheap Chinese GoPro accessory. It has three settings and will go for at least a couple of hours on high and perhaps five hours on low (good backup for night dives). I have had no problems with mine but recently I met someone who's battery started smoking when he went to charge his.

For most people, the preferred method is to capture the image in the camera and to do as little as possible in post. Post production can save a bad image, but it is much more satisfying to get it right before you do anything to it.

Those using the right filter for the type of water & depth, and that know how to use GoPro cameras, do get it right.

I just got back from 2 weeks diving with my cheapy ebay filters that are unusable unless I want completely red pics. The person I was diving with had the original gopro filters, and the quality was amazing, so I'm looking to buy those. However I notice that people seem to love the backscatter filters, but there's no mention of the original gopro filters. Are the backscatter filters better than the original gopro?
I was looking at the backscatter flip online, and it looks cool, but for those that have it, once you get underwater, do you use the 2 filters or do you stick to one the whole time? I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of the flip vs a single dive filter.

Last edited:
A_Lamonta
Yes. They are better, sturdier and easier to use.
Why, well... they are made of sturdier materials, they are designed to stay on the GoPro housing, not tethered on a string, the are expandable (you can add or have more than one filter available during a dive), and it's likely to last longer than the GoPro filter because it's thicker plastic and while any of the filters are prone to bubble entrapment, the Backscatter ones are easier to clear... flip swipe bubbles out and flip back in place, rather than snap, clear and resnap into position. If you are wearing gloves or get distracted and the filter comes off, you could have a tethered filter getting in the way of your shot. It is also true that if you get distracted or something moves at the front of the housing, the flip filters or the macro....if you get one, can also get in the way and affect your shot because there are not fully out of the way, or fully in place.

Most of the time, I use one filter and leave it on through the dive, keeping an eye on bubble management and that the filter is actually set and snapped in place.

If I have a macro shot, I'll use the diopter and flip the red filter out of the way, then.... rely solely on external video lights to improve chances for a better macro shot.

When done with that, I'll flip the macro out of the way, reposition the red filter and keep on shooting video or switch to photos.

If you use a filter, your post editing will require less color correction. It's a matter of available light, how deep you are at any given time and personal preferences.

I've used them in blue water, and depths ranging from shallow 1-2 feet, to 130 feet.

Cheers.

I just got back from 2 weeks diving with my cheapy ebay filters that are unusable unless I want completely red pics. The person I was diving with had the original gopro filters, and the quality was amazing, so I'm looking to buy those. However I notice that people seem to love the backscatter filters, but there's no mention of the original gopro filters. Are the backscatter filters better than the original gopro?
I was looking at the backscatter flip online, and it looks cool, but for those that have it, once you get underwater, do you use the 2 filters or do you stick to one the whole time? I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of the flip vs a single dive filter.

I have some raw footage taken with a GoPro 3 and presumably a GoPro Red Filter and to me it seems to look unnatural but very colorful and the Caribbean had a slightly purple tint. I have used a generic red filter and captured the beautiful Caribbean blue plus the skin tones look natural and the yellow, orange, and red fish appear to be yellow, orange, and red instead of a washed-out bluish gray. I have not used the BackScatter filters but would definitely lean in that direction. If you are diving in green water then, in my experience, it may still look a bit green using a red filter but you still get more natural-looking colors of your subjects. Since BackScatter calls their filters "Shallow", "Dive", and "Deep Dive" I would think they probably know what they are talking about. Perhaps we can talk Ricardo V. into posting something shot with the BackScatter filters :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom