Image is really red underwater with red filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that it is easy to "spend other people's money", but the difference in price between the "good" filters such as those offered by Backscatter or GoPro and the "cheap" filters like those on eBay or Amazon isn't really that much (especially when viewed in comparison to the cost of a dive trip), wouldn't the extra $50 (or so) be pretty much a "no brainer"?

I would hate to come back from a once in a lifetime trip and find that nothing I had videoed or photographed was usable because I saved a few dollars.

Yea. That's why I take my laptop with me and look at the videos of the day and make changes accordingly. Day 1: everything too red with deep red filter. Day 2: everything too green with orange filter, etc. Day 3: everything too blue because I didn't use a filter but the close-up stuff looks great with the video light....

I agree with buying the name-brand filter if you are sure it will fit your housing/camera. I'm not quite ready to spend several hundred dollars on a camera and housing and then more on accessories so I bought the cheap imitation GoPro. Because of this I have bought several "cheap" filters not knowing if they would fit. Many do not, but I ended up with a few filters that work for me and even had a spare so when they guy from Argentina on the dive boat broke his filter I had one that was so cheap I just gave it to him. And just when I think I found a great filter that does a wonderful job from 35-60 feet and order some more from the same guy I end up with some that are too dark and unusable. Meanwhile I came up with an idea that eliminates some of the problems such as bubbles, salt spots, and back glare because I have some filters that are so cheap I don't mind experimenting with them. Yesterday I ordered some more filters from China because the seller has both "Red" and "Pink" for sale, so I ordered the "Pink." We'll see what I get. In any case I like the camera so much (and it was so cheap) that bought them for several of my friends/family members and they will eventually benefit from my results. I have built several camera housings from scratch so I suppose you could say that I enjoy doing it this way. In any case, to date I have only spent about $30 on filters, some of which are very usable and some that are not. The price of one GoPro Red filter at a dive shop is about $30. Part of my motivation is lack of money and I guess I'd rather spend it on a dive trip than give it to GoPro or someone when I'm not even convinced that their camera is better than what I got for a few bucks. The bottom line is that if I could get some specifics about the BackScatter frame so I could determine if it would fit my housing I would probably buy it. I have checked their web site and emailed them and several sellers of the system and so far nobody has given me any dimensions. If someone would be kind enough to post the dimensions here that would be great and might save me from having to re-invent the wheel. :)

Last edited:
If I have a macro shot, I'll use the diopter and flip the red filter out of the way, then.... rely solely on external video lights to improve chances for a better macro shot.

When done with that, I'll flip the macro out of the way, reposition the red filter and keep on shooting video or switch to photos.

What is the focus range of the macro filter? Do you use some kind of external macro frame, guess, or what? I have a 2" LCD screen on my camera which is almost worthless except perhaps for centering my subject.

Here is a good description and explanation from the folks that came up with these filters and diopters. It's a bit old, but it's still relevant and addresses your questions.
Minute 2:40 onward talks about depth of field (in focus range).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom