Immediate Opening: Turks & Caicos Field Station

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A Diving Safety Officer position opened up with the Center for Field Studies, Turks & Caicos Station.

Diving Safety Officer
Position Announcement
Center for Marine Resource Studies
Turks & Caicos Islands, B.W.I.

Position Summary: Under the general direction of the Center Director, the Diving Safety Officer/Marine Operations Coordinator (DSO/MOC) is responsible for a variety of support duties associated with SFS/CMRS sponsored academic and scientific activities on and underwater in order to ensure these activities are carried out in an effective and safe manner in accordance with SFS and CMRS specific policies.

Required Qualifications:

* Active status SCUBA diving instructor's certification from a nationally recognized agency (i.e., PADI, NAUI, and NOAA, CMAS
* First Aid/CPR instructor.
* Oxygen administration instructor.
* Extensive small boat handling experience.
* Experience in outboard engine troubleshooting and mechanics.
* Related experience with an academic institution.
* Rescue

Preferred Qualifications:

* Captain's License.
* Bachelor's degree (highly desirable, marine related discipline an advantage).
* Experience in leadership (management?) and personnel supervision.
* Caribbean diving experience and knowledge of marine life highly desirable.
* Certified in visual inspection for cylinders.
* Experience in group living situations.
* EMT qualified.
* Wilderness First Aid Responder
* Tank inspection capability
* Shallow water diving experience

Other Expectations:

* Willingness to work flexible hours and live on site at the field station with a small team of permanent staff, groups of US undergraduate students and visiting researchers or programs, and participate in all center activities.
* Represent SFS at local and international conferences.

Reports To: Center Director

Salary: $17,500 USD plus on-site room & board and an excellent benefits package

Diving Safety Officer / Marine Operations Coordinator - The School for Field Studies

I've known people who've previously held this post. It's tough and you really need all those job requirements they advertise for, but seems to be pretty rewarding. Some of my students and co-workers have been students or interns at that place, and won't shut up about how much fun they had.

$17.5K + room and eats isn't much scratch for all those quals and schooling.

Better be a blast with LOTS of young, hot and willing college hotties roaming around.

:D

You don't take these jobs for the money. And fraternizing with the students isn't really something you should be doing.

Actually, considering where it is and what you're doing, the pay is pretty good. The teaching faculty salaries I think are up in the mid-20's.

Basically take your typical U.S. salary and cut it by 60%. That'll roughly conform to Caribbean payscale for field stations.

Whoa .... $17,500 a year. You'd think now a days experience and pay would equal out. I think the CENTER director needs to WAKE-UP, smell the coffee man. I'm sure the Director likely a PHD only makes a little more. ... NOT

it's not that hard to obtain
* Active status SCUBA diving instructor's certification from a nationally recognized agency (i.e., PADI, NAUI, and NOAA, CMAS
* First Aid/CPR instructor.
* Oxygen administration instructor.
* Extensive small boat handling experience.
* Experience in outboard engine troubleshooting and mechanics.
* Related experience with an academic institution.
* Rescue
* Captain's License.
* Bachelor's degree (highly desirable, marine related discipline an advantage).
* Experience in leadership (management?) and personnel supervision.
* Caribbean diving experience and knowledge of marine life highly desirable.
* Certified in visual inspection for cylinders.
* Experience in group living situations.
* EMT qualified.
* Wilderness First Aid Responder
* Tank inspection capability
* Shallow water diving experience

along with
* Willingness to work flexible hours and live on site at the field station with a small team of permanent staff, groups of US undergraduate students and visiting researchers or programs, and participate in all center activities.
* Represent SFS at local and international conferences.

NO PROBLEM MAN.

It’s the old law of supply and demand I guess. As long as people are willing to dive for free or next to it, it won’t ever pay much. I’m from St.Louis too, and look around. Just think how many people dive master for free air.

They want a bachelor's degree which costs 140k now along with all of your training, which is another few grand to pay you 17k. Doesn't make sense, but if someone wants to do it, God bless them.

This is pretty typical for small non profit academic study programs. The thing folks are forgetting is that they are getting free room and board. The room probably will not be much but board (food) will really be what makes it work depending on how they structure it. Really a job for someone who lives pretty simply.

I don’t think anyone is forgetting the room and board. Although it does have a value, it sure doesn’t make up for the 10's of thousands of lost pay. In any other occupation those qualifications would earn at least 40k per year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom