Immersion Imperative for the Infirm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So many threads mention factors such as age, heart condition, missing an eyeball, etc. as keeping people from diving, or diving less strenuous or less frequently. Also equipment malfunctions call for calling a dive.
Why don’t I hear more examples of people just switching to a snorkel, at a shallower site, and STILL getting in the water with the critters and the floating? Instead of going home sad and dry?
At 56, with all my own teeth, I dive when My buddy can and snorkel other days, and have been getting better photos snorkeling anyway. Thoughts?

Because shore diving is relatively inaccessible to most divers?

Is it though? I think it may be on West Coast but not on East Coast USA. Often i hear people dismiss sites as “too shallow” for diving, but i intend to make a list of shallowcoves that might not attract scuba, but would attract Snorkel, and have them in mind for alternatives for when a Scuba Dive has to get called due to equipment or buddy issues.

West coast, where I used to live, can have rough surf—not a lot of protected coves. Florida? A lot of sand. From Florida north, I think much of it is either still sandy bottom and surf, or too developed to provide access. You may live in a somewhat unique area. (I spent my childhood in the north, so I do have a mental image.) Worldwide, I believe much shoreline near where divers (and your potential snorkelers) live, is developed, unprotected and/or polluted. Quiet coves, with interesting marine life, near enough to one’s home to be a viable alternative to diving ... seems like a rarity to me.

I guess I didn’t realize that it really is lucky to have this type of shoreline in the Northeast, particularly Rhode Island. Even if it is not Carribean-warm, it is still divable year round, with lots to see.

Back
Top Bottom