Impact of the US Shutdown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a weekend trip to CO last weekend. San Diego and Denver's TSA was the same speed as usual. I suspect it will slow down as more and more people stop coming to work.

I think the craziness at the airport in Atlanta on Superbowl weekend will be more interesting than the game itself.

NOAA, EPA and Coast Guard come to mind. (Navy is still paid.)
National Park Service here regulates a dive site within Olympic National Park. Its by permit only to try and make sure the wrecks aren't vandalized. Can't get a permit at the moment.

Terrible to say this but history has shown that when one side does something the other side ups the antie. So we should expect this same thing again when the other side gets in partial power and justifies with precedent.... Sounds like its time for folks to get the duck stuff insurance . what is it called ??? aflack. Worse that happens is that you have to repay the duck back when yo get the back pay. that ins. is really pretty cheep like 1% of your check. 1 or 2 dollars a day. On the other side the coast guard is I think on a annual salary broken down into monthly payments and not a monthly salary. they get the annual amount no mater what. It is an issue of mailing the check and not working with out pay. Lets not forget that many have 401k's the can borrow from if needed to cover them fo things like this. Bummer authorized their use when he was in power. It is routine with an EO when there is storm damage like a hurricane or mass flooding etc. Yes there are many that have no back up sources but many do and either do not know ow to access it or some other reason. So you borrow from your 401 or thrift account and repay when yo get your back pay.

Both bills failed to pass. If a private company forced workers to work without timely pay they would be fined and senior leaders would face potential jail time. For some reason that same logic doesn't apply to the Federal Government. As I said, it is absolutely despicable and downright absurd.
There may be a legal battle for those claiming your position. As long as they are getting back pay they are not working with out pay.

National Park Service here regulates a dive site within Olympic National Park. Its by permit only to try and make sure the wrecks aren't vandalized. Can't get a permit at the moment.
Considering the parks service isn't funded, who would be patrolling this? You'd think that a bunch of people would just go dive it without permits since no one would be there to check their permits.

As someone directly effected, I have put diving on a total stand-still for the time being. No clue when things will resume.

How did it effect your diving?

Considering the parks service isn't funded, who would be patrolling this? You'd think that a bunch of people would just go dive it without permits since no one would be there to check their permits.
NPS law enforcement is still working without pay. And responsible divers have seen the damage that has happened here over the years and would prefer not to have them close the site permanently by taking advantage of the situation and disrespecting the efforts of the NPS to keep it open with reasonable restrictions.

Normally its a free permit, good for up to 4 cars, 8 divers per day. One permit issued per day with at least a week's notice although the permit lady preferred 2 weeks. Considering the car wrecks are at 170ft and 200ft and you need to preplan for trimix fills anyway, these rules are really quite easy to comply with. Giving the big middle finger to NPS park managers who have made it pretty easy for us divers while trying to fulfil their mandate to protect these cultural artifacts is just a good way to get the site closed.

Back
Top Bottom