Impact of the US Shutdown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have gathered from the posts that the only real effect on diving has been for the NOAA dive ops (and those shops that are affected as a result). I assume you can still dive in Sanctuary areas. Someone said local law enforcement there is still on duty, so I would guess diving without a required permit not a good idea. But seems you could still dive there.

It is selfish of me to whine but I finally decided to apply for my Global Entry and had really thought I might have it for my next trip. Then the shutdown. They say they are still approving applications but it has already been weeks past the “average.”

There have been the odd shut downs in Canada, but I don't recall one lasting very long. I'm naïve on the subject--since gov't officials get paid with tax payer money, how come a gov't. shut down makes this not possible? Isn't the money already there? Or maybe the gov't workers who (well in the old days) send out the paycheques aren't working themselves?

There have been the odd shut downs in Canada, but I don't recall one lasting very long. I'm naïve on the subject--since gov't officials get paid with tax payer money, how come a gov't. shut down makes this not possible? Isn't the money already there? Or maybe the gov't workers who (well in the old days) send out the paycheques aren't working themselves?
Nothing to do with availability of cash or ability to process and all to do with authorization to spend.

Google ‘us shutdown explained’ :)

Gouvernement and large organisations need to approve spending or it could be used in even stupider ways than now.

Government shutdowns in the United States - Wikipedia

I have gathered from the posts that the only real effect on diving has been for the NOAA dive ops (and those shops that are affected as a result). I assume you can still dive in Sanctuary areas. Someone said local law enforcement there is still on duty, so I would guess diving without a required permit not a good idea. But seems you could still dive there.

If there's a gate at the entrance, and it's closed with nobody in the booth, I would think you start with trespassing.

What gov't. employees deal with diving and dive ops?
FCC for AI transmitters - Shearwater recalled their yellow transmiters due to concerns on potential faulty programming by the Mfr on some and delivery of replacement yellow transmitters is on hold as the repregrammed units require FCC approval.

If there's a gate at the entrance, and it's closed with nobody in the booth, I would think you start with trespassing.
Most sanctuary employees are state workers, at least in the Florida Keys, they are on the job, but since they work in a federal building, they aren’t allowed to come to work, or use a NOAA boat, or anything. Before the shutdown, they moved all of their buoy supplies to a state facility, and they are still working buoys from state boats. So yes, the sanctuary is open for diving.

Most sanctuary employees are state workers, at least in the Florida Keys, they are on the job, but since they work in a federal building, they aren’t allowed to come to work, or use a NOAA boat, or anything.

What fun. I am a 100% federally funded state worker in a state university. I can come to work and everything, and we're near the end of our current funding period so the money is already here. The only bummer is, people who are deciding our budget for the next funding period right now, are federal employees working in federal buildings. Not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom