Impact of the US Shutdown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try the Mobile Passport app
You know, I downloaded that app years ago, I don’t think it had been out long. Tried it on my next trip through Atlanta. I got flagged and was sent to the problem line. The agent looked at my records and asked if I had used the Moble Passport. I confirmed I did and his advice as to delete it as he passed me through. I did and since then have been reluctant to try again. But sounds like I should.

There have been the odd shut downs in Canada, but I don't recall one lasting very long. I'm naïve on the subject--since gov't officials get paid with tax payer money, how come a gov't. shut down makes this not possible? Isn't the money already there? Or maybe the gov't workers who (well in the old days) send out the paycheques aren't working themselves?
Completely different system in Canada where there have never been shut-downs. If a budget fails to pass, there will be a non-confidence vote in Parliament, the government will fall, and there will be an election. Nothing to do with what is happening in the U.S. due to different governance.

Let’s not take sides against or for political parties in this thread :)
It is a link to the CNN site announcing the deal and the attendant headline. No sides.

Completely different system in Canada where there have never been shut-downs. If a budget fails to pass, there will be a non-confidence vote in Parliament, the government will fall, and there will be an election. Nothing to do with what is happening in the U.S. due to different governance.
Thanks for correcting me. I must've been thinking of times the gov't. did fall. In googling it, I found that during the period between the govt. falling and the election (forming the new Parliament), the Gov. General approves basically a line of credit so all govt. services continue. Not sure of the details of this, but perhaps this procedure is one the U.S. might look at in these situations. As I asked a while back, the tax dollars are there, so why not have a way to pay the federal employees when the govt. shuts down?

As I asked a while back, the tax dollars are there, so why not have a way to pay the federal employees when the govt. shuts down?

It wouldn't be much of a shutdown if everyone was at work and getting paid as usual now, would it?

It wouldn't be much of a shutdown if everyone was at work and getting paid as usual now, would it?
Point taken. An inexact analogy to teachers or other tax -payer funded workers going on strike then after 2 weeks being ordered back to work by the govt. and having to do required mediation.
But, though the deadlock would continue over the budget, the public wouldn't suffer, per what happens in Canada.
Then again, the U.S. Gov't. can't "fall" (unless the Prez does a Nixon), but the rest of the govt. remained until the next scheduled election.
Theoretically a US gov't shut down could go on until the next Presidential or Congressional election. Interesting.

It is my opinion that agent was dirty before the shut down.

Thanks for correcting me. I must've been thinking of times the gov't. did fall. In googling it, I found that during the period between the govt. falling and the election (forming the new Parliament), the Gov. General approves basically a line of credit so all govt. services continue. Not sure of the details of this, but perhaps this procedure is one the U.S. might look at in these situations. As I asked a while back, the tax dollars are there, so why not have a way to pay the federal employees when the govt. shuts down?
There are probably pros and cons for both approaches.

Having a government dissolved because they cannot agree on a budget could be used to force government dissolution as well ?

Would be nice if they could just extend lines of credit to prevent shutdowns, I don’t think anybody thought of shutdowns used as political weapons when they designed these rules.

...I don’t think anybody thought of shutdowns used as political weapons when they designed these rules.
As there have been and are an awful lot of reasonable and foresightful people in this world (albeit usually drowned out by those that are not), we can't be sure about "anybody", but any politicians ... yeah, that may be a given... not their forte...

This must be impractical because it seems too simple:

Canada--Gov't. falls but P.M. goes to Gov. General asking to release funds to pay workers and keep things going until the election and new Parliament. The money is available.

Why Not--
Budget not passed and U.S. Gov't shuts down. Prez goes and gets the money from the tax coffers and pays workers to keep things going. The money obviously is there, because apparently those workers will get all their back pay.

I imagine there are some legal reasons this can't happen. Or political procedure reasons. Perhaps such restrictions should be changed?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom