• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Importance of diving equipment brand country

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by Pianist, Oct 18, 2019.

1. michael-fisch

michael-fisch Manta Ray

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    That can't be a reccomendation for "Made in the USA"!
    It's kind of like buying Huish Outdoors products because of the quality of service.
    As far as drysuits go, after my experiences with a company in San Diego, if I can't drive to the manufacturer, complain and camp out on his doorstep untill he makes it right, I won't buy.

Right now I'm waiting for my 5th and 6th bespoke MTM Drysuits from Kallweit, a company that has been making drysuits for me since 1991. Every 8 or 9 years I have 2 new ones made for me, and so far I haven't ever had a reason to be pissed. If I was pissed they are only 60 miles from where I live which is really practical when you are trying to get things made right.
    Michael

Dark Wolf likes this.
  2. Diving Dubai

Diving Dubai Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I have a couple of demands

In country dealer and repair no overseas shipping nonsense. I avoided shearwater for this very reason until they appointed a reputable in country dealer and repair

In addition for regs and bcd. A brand that has local support and spares in most dive destinations

Russian and Ukraine stuff tends to be over engineered. - if I could make it work I’d look at it\

3. formernuke

formernuke Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Not a recommendation (I have no like or dislike for DUI) simply a statement. It was asked if any manufacturers products were made in the US, DUI is made in the US.

4. runsongas

runsongas Great White

usia is still up in oregon. you can still get a custom wetsuit made at a few places in the US including otter bay.

atomic probably still does at least their first stages in the US.

and if you hate yourself, you could get a cochran dive computer.

5. Eric Sedletzky

Eric Sedletzky Great White

What about the materials though?
    They might be assembled in the USA out of imported parts.

6. Eric Sedletzky

Eric Sedletzky Great White

Where does the neoprene come from? As far as I know Rubatex was the last US neoprene manufacturer, made in Los Angeles, California. It was amazing stuff. Got on the phone once with Don at M&B wetsuits in Long Beach and he filled me in on everything to do with neoprene. He also went directly to the Rubatex plant when he heard they were going out and bought stacks if sheets.
    Now it’s all China, Japan, South Korea, and maybe a few other Asian countries.
    Some of the South Korean stuff is not bad for high density commercial and Japanese Yamamoto is legendary.

7. vovanx

vovanx Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    your opinion on Russian/Ukrainian gear is heavily biased.
    in Russia we have high quality titanium gear manufacturers:
    avlnn.ru
    tde-rus.com
    helium-dive.com
    (Russia is a top exporter of Titanium btw)
    high quality lights: amg-ue.com
    [unknown quality, never heard any reviews] dive computers: av-uwt.com/?lang=en

in Ukraine I know a high quality BCD/drysuit manufacturer: custommaster.com.ua
    and there are some lights and computers manufacturers too (I recall only Seawooch brand)

concerning fins/masks/regs... choose some other country :D

8. happy-diver

happy-diver Skindiver Just feelin it ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Diving Dubai likes this.
  9. Rechno

Rechno Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    For me, more important then the reputation of the country is the reputation of the brand.
    If a brand is well established and the gear has what I´m looking for, I will buy it (almost) no matter where it is from (I´d even buy US goods ;-) )
    This is of course always considering the service level in my country / where I plan to dive and how likely it is that the gear will need service (snorkel vs. CCR).
    The more sophisticated the gear is, the more I focus on having good service partners nearby, but still the origin wont be the most important factor of my consideration.

It depends on the type of "features" if I´m only told about some great / fancy feature and that said equipment from country X is "the best", I´d rather trust some established gear until the features are really proven to work and make sense.

But I think without concrete examples the discussion will not be fruitful.

Bob DBF likes this.
  10. JasmineNeedsGills

JasmineNeedsGills Angel Fish

I have a lot of respect for engineering from the former Soviet republics (their metallurgy and optics are both rightfully legendary), but no matter how well made the gear is made, at the end of the day you just won't be able to easily get support and service kits for any given product in most of the world, which makes it a non-starter. As someone with a Russian film camera, and who tried for a long time to obtain a particular model, I can attest to how hard it is to get even simple fixes carried out in Europe. You just can't get the parts needed.

vovanx likes this.