Improving my SAC rate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvbellomo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there anything I can do out of water to make my air go farther? Obviously, being slightly in shape is better than completely out of shape helps. But:

1) Fat doesn't use much oxygen. So while dropping 20lbs of pure fat should help (less weight needed, more streamlined shape) is this a big help or barely noticeable?

2) Muscle uses oxygen. I see lots of people on this forum recommending deadlifts, squats, etc. Are these beneficial, especially for someone strong enough to carry equipment and perform emergency procedures? Am I killing my SAC rate if I work all winter to deadlift 405lbs as easily as I can 315lbs right now?

3) Aerobic exercise helps, but how much and what type? Am I better off with a Boston qualifying Marathon, a sub-6 minute mile, or sub-70 second 400 meter?

I am a relatively new diver, but long time fitness person, so I'd like to adjust my routine more towards what will help me dive better when I set goals for the New Year.

I see SAC differences by body size but not so much for fitness.

My personal opinion - having a good base of endurance cardio is very helpful to SAC. I'm 150, wife is 110. I'm 5'7, she's 5'3....we have the same SAC. The only difference is that I've been doing endurance and ultra endurance events for the last decade (multi-day bikepacking races, Backcountry skiing, 10-hrs of MTB a week, trail running, etc.) She does not.

Good cardiovascular fitness will definitely help. Your biggest improvements, however, will occur in the water. Being comfortable in the water, having good buoyancy, trim, and not kicking much will generate the biggest improvements. Learn to hover motionless, make nice gentle kicks, and don't be in a hurry to get somewhere on your dive.

Good cardiovascular fitness will definitely help. Your biggest improvements, however, will occur in the water. Being comfortable in the water, having good buoyancy, trim, and not kicking much will generate the biggest improvements. Learn to hover motionless, make nice gentle kicks, and don't be in a hurry to get somewhere on your dive.
Basically this. Cardio will help, but I have seen Andre the Giant with a .4 SAC and a leprechaun with a .9. Comfort, poise, and control in the water will contribute more to improved breathing rate than any fitness program.

I don't disagree, but given:
1) Before March, I won't have more than 3 hours free time together
2) I don't own cold water gear
3) The most likely dive location 2 hours away (one way) and covered in ice.

I'd rather focus on what I can do out of the water. I am going to exercise anyway

You can run marathons daily but if you aren't comfortable underwater you'll still blow thru a tank of gas.

You gotta get comfortable, you gotta get trimmed out and you gotta stop moving as much as possible.

Go find a pool, practice hovering, practice gentle kicking using as little of your leg muscles as possible. Tuck your hands in your waist or vest or somewhere to stop you from using them - work to lay flat in the water motionless and use your fin TIPS to move around. That will gain you the most by far in SAC improvement.

I'd rather focus on what I can do out of the water. I am going to exercise anyway

Pools are good for work over the winter. I do it monthly.

And don’t flail about with your hands.

Do you calculate your RMV? You can check approximately where you fall in the distribution Average Gas Consumption

There are many threads on SB regarding improving one's RMV while diving, buoyancy, trim, propusion, relaxation, experience...

There is no magic exercise. Swimming laps is actually a good combination of cardio and working the right muscle groups.

I have also heard good things core exercise and some form of breathing control like Yoga.

You want a better breathing rate. The answer is kind of ironic, go slower, exert yourself less.

Scuba is not a high impact, fast twitch sport. I would prioritize steady endurance cardio over fast. In terms of heavy lifting, haven't seen that have too much of a direct impact one way or the other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom