• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Improving my SAC rate

Discussion in 'Dive into Fitness' started by bvbellomo, Dec 27, 2019.

1. GreggS

GreggS Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    One thing that was suggested to me just after I started diving was to practice slow breathing. I started while lying in bed breathing in slowly and then exhaling even slower, trying to take twice as long to exhale as inhale. After a while, I noticed that while diving I was doing it without thinking about it. My air consumption dropped quite a bit.

Also, the more you dive, the better your SAC rate will be. It just comes naturally.

And, BTW, I'm 63 years old, 6 ft tall, and currently around 240 lbs (down from around 275 this past April.) My SAC rate has averaged between .45-.50 since before losing the weight. And while I'm not in the best of shape, I'm probably a lot better than average for my age.

2. Manneca

Manneca Barracuda

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Meditation. Seriously. As soon as I hit the water, my breathing slows.

Dark Wolf and Paul McCartney like this.
  3. Bert van den Berg

Bert van den Berg Solo Diver

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Two things you can do to improve your SAC...

1). Dive a lot to get more comfortable/relaxed while underwater
    2). Try to minimize your need for air by moving slowly and staying in trim.

I have observed that people who are moving around constantly run out of air sooner than people moving more conservatively. For example, why "swim" down or up when you can glide down or float up using your BCD?

scrane likes this.
  4. Nemrod

Nemrod Solo Diver

A general fitness program that is balanced between cardio and strength training will benefit your well being and diving. All other things equal, two divers, one overweight, out of shape and sedentary and the other fit, on BMI and active, who do you really think will have the lower SAC? What if part of the dive requires swimming against a current or some other physical exertion? Do you think the sedentary and out of shape diver will cope as easily as the fit diver or recover from the exertion as quickly? What if you get into a situation that pushes your body to the aerobic limit, that is one of several instigating factors for panic. A fit diver will be able to sustain a much greater effort for a longer time without blowing up.

Swim, bike, run, strength. You can substitute elliptical, rowing machines, stair steppers, or other cross training but be sure to balance the workouts. Do not confuse "big" (muscles) with fitness, they are not entirely the same thing.

N

BAMA6977 likes this.