Improving visibility in quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would highly advise against placing/using zebra mussels. Zebra mussels are an invasive species and take over everything. After a year or so everything in the quarry will be covered in them and they will take most if not all the nutrients out of the water. I would use a grass carp or some other kind of filter feeder.

I dive in a quarry in northern Ohio that has them and after I dive it, I wash/rinse all of my gear thoroughly to avoid putting them in the lake I normally dive in by accident. Zebra mussels would be the last ditch effort I would do to try to improve viz. I would probably just say heck with the viz and live with what you got versus putting zebra mussels in.

Sorry this response is late - I'm going to go a bit off beam with this and say that water bodies can be helped with the addition of bales of straw - but it does depend how big your quarry is :D

Basically it releases compounds which prevent the algal reproduction - here is a link to an article about the method from Ohio -

Algae Control with Barley Straw, A-12-02

Of course you may need so much straw it is not practical ! - but I have been to sites in the UK where this has been used to control algal growth in lakes on nature reserves and it has improved things. I'm sure hay is cheap and expendable, and doesn't carry any environmental risk such as zebra mussels or non-indigenous fish - P

Second link to some other techniques for pond management.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/Home/fishing/pond/muddy/tabid/6231/Default.aspx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom