In Depth review....??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

willfscubamadeira

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi i've been looking around and there seems to be no real in-depth review of either the AGA or the Guardian....

I love my FFM AGA Divator and have a Guardian on the way, would any one be interested in reading a comparison between the old and new??

IM interested in a guardian I would love to have a real good review can't seem to find any

Hey guys,

I have a write up on the differences between the two masks and would be glad to send it to you both.

I'd like to preface this by saying both are great masks. The AGA is a good mask, but The Guardian is the mask we manufacture and of course would push that first and foremost.

If you want to send me a private message including your emails, I would be glad to share it with you both.

I was more of thinking a hands on review, i know some people say that they can never get a perfect seal.... I have to admit i struggled at first but now i get a perfect seal and i have proud cheek bones but no fat in my cheeks so not the most normal of faces and now can get a perfect seal with the tinniest of leaks.

I recommend at least spending a few hours with it to get the hang of it perfectly, getting used to having a nice and dry face :)

I purchased an OTS Guardian last October (about four months after becoming certified) after nudging from a dive buddy and seeing his mask. I liked the idea of keeping my whole face warm as we are in Indiana and dive mainly in quarries where temperatures at the bottom can easily be 40 degrees or slightly lower(fahrenheit, mind you). I started with the SDI Full Face Mask specialty to give me some pointers on clearing, removing, and replacing the mask. I do not think it is necessary, but it certainly doesn't hurt. The worst part, I believe, of having a full face mask is that losing your mask results in losing your air source and vice versa. If you think you can handle that, then continue on.

I love the much wider visibility that I get from the mask--and no fogging! No more defog! I recently got back from Hawaii where I dove it on two dives. I unfortunately had the chance to compare it to my Oceanic half mask when on my two dives on Monday resulted in a splitting headache. I am thinking it was a combination of me being overly conscious of my air consumption and subconsciously attempting to conserve it resulting in CO2 retention. I switched to my half mask and Scubapro S600 second stage for my Tuesday dives and had no headache, though I had to do a lot more head turning to look around. I do not fault my full face mask whatsoever for my headache. I blame being a newer diver (35 dives at that point) and those being my first salt water dives.

I have probably 15 open water dives on the full face mask now and am comfortable with it. I initially had an issue getting a great seal around the right temple strap. It wasn't a significant leak, but there was a steady stream of small bubbles. My buddy and I both had the communications unit attached, and when he removed his, the seal was complete. I promptly removed mine and now enjoy a great seal on the mask. On the subject of the consumer-grade comms unit: It was fun to play with in the pool. It requires one to enunciate clearly and speak concisely, though once we practiced at it a bit, we were able to understand each other. I think if we played with the microphone position in the mask, we could have improved it even more. My buddy and I have done a significant portion of our dives together and feel that we can communicate just as well, if not more accurately, using hand signals and conserve the air that would have otherwise been vented while talking.

Maintenance on the unit is fairly simple. I ensure the mask is dried completely after each dive. I rinse it after every dive, especially salt water. I then towel dry the standing water in the oro-nasal cavity and the regulator cavity. It then sits open to air dry until everything evaporates.

Overall, I think if you are already considering the purchase, then you should go for it. If you can do a full face mask trial dive with your LDS, then you might consider that to be 100% sure you like the experience. It is a different experience to breathe from the mask, but nothing that one can overcome. My dive buddy who is a firefighter says it is similar to breathing from his SCBA, so he is right at home with it. The benefits of better visibility, no fogging, and, in my opinion, more securely fastened mask and air source make it worthwhile. It is much harder for someone to rip the full face mask from your face than it is a half mask or standard second stage regulator. The side benefit is if you suffer a bout of unconsciousness underwater, your air source remains available. It is a great piece of diving equipment and one I think I would not want to dive without now.

I hope this helps. If I can answer any more questions, I would be more than happy to do so.

Hi Triker,
I've been diving for almost 10 years and an instructor for 4years. I have been using a Divator Interspiro that is slightly harder to get a good seal at first, after a lot of practice trying it on different dives and a lot of pool time I fine tuned the mask so now it doesn't leak at all... unless my long hair gets stuck in it....

I think using a FFM is just like learning to use any other piece of kit or course, you get more on edge, think your using more air than normal so you end up breathing more :S

The technique that I use is completely different from the advised way of fitting the mask in the manual by starting at the top two of the spider straps and then the top followed by the bottom two.

I do not use the counter weights and don't think the are really need and never had any problems with jaw fatigue or feeling like the mask is rising up.

When I find the time I'm going to try out the guardian that has been bought in for clients but waiting for it to actually arrive at my dive centre, because its got stuck in the uk. (no fault of OTS, its my shipping company to blame )

As you can see from my avatar i don't wear a hood.... and have to admit looks.... very.... cool :cool2:

How do you air share?

There is no "buddy breathing" with a Guardian / Divator full face mask.

If you find you have an emergency, emergency procedures are the same for both masks. You want to first doff the mask via two chin buckles on the mask, and go to your otco. Once you obtain your safe second, you can either ascent (some people can ascent without a mask) or don a standard half-mask, clear and then ascent.

Personally, I carry an extra half-mask in my BC pocket while diving. Some people carry one, some don't, it's completely up to the individual diving.

You can see a training video of our emergency procedures as well as many other training videos here : Full Face Mask Training Videos | Ocean Technology Systems

The video is titled "Don and Doff Guardian FFM underwater".

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom