In memorium: Rob Davie, aka BigJetDriver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're back from the service and it was extremely emotional. Natasha, Marci (Natasha's sister), Christi and I sat together and watched one of the most moving ceremonies we've ever witnessed. The service began with a lone bagpiper piping a Scottish piece that I was not familiar with, but it still reduced us to tears. After that, a video presentation of Rob's life was shown, with Amazing Grace playing in the background. A greeting and invocation was offered, followed by the offeratory hymn Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow and a pair of scripture readings from the Book of Genesis. From there, a quote from Rob was read:

I love the beauty of the undersea world. I love its solitude, and its amazing creatures. I am constantly amazed at the stunning visual panoramas I find in the depths.

We recited the 23rd Psalm and then the minister read lessons from Romans, 1 John (including a passage that I read last Sunday as the Worship Leader at my church) and Matthew. The hymn Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee -- the melody from the final movement of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony -- followed the scripture readings, and the Homily and hymn His Mighty Hands came next.

After that, several friends and relatives eulogized Rob, including moving tributes from his brother, Tom, and his niece, Theresa. I got up and spoke a few words on behalf of Scubaboard. I told of how caring a person Rob was and how he was a major influence on all of us and our actions. I talked about how I felt Rob had aided the pilot that landed the Continental jet that had blown two tires in Houston earlier this week. I concluded with the dedication of my 100th dive to Rob and how he will be with me in spirit on every dive I do for the rest of my life.

The bagpiper then concluded the service by playing Amazing Grace once again, reducing us all to tears one more time. It was a wonderful tribute to a wonderful friend, colleague and family man

When I get home tomorrow, I will scan the program in and post it here along with a picture I took of the set up they made at the front of the sanctuary, one that was absolutely beautiful.

I've been thinking about this all days, and my thoughts and prayers have definetley been there and not here. Thanks for the update Ken, I'm sure that I'll talk to you more about it tomorrow. ((HUGS))

Me, too. Thanks for the lovely report. I'll be it was special.

ScubaTexan:
After that, several friends and relatives eulogized Rob, including moving tributes from his brother, Tom, and his niece, Theresa. I got up and spoke a few words on behalf of Scubaboard. I told of how caring a person Rob was and how he was a major influence on all of us and our actions. I talked about how I felt Rob had aided the pilot that landed the Continental jet that had blown two tires in Houston earlier this week. I concluded with the dedication of my 100th dive to Rob and how he will be with me in spirit on every dive I do for the rest of my life.

Every single person that spoke of Rob related some positive impact or influence he had on them. Those that actually got up and made speeches or told stories gave even more insight into the type of man he was. The speeches by his friends and relatives were truly moving and echoed the sentiments expressed by so many on the board already.

Although I only spent time around him once and knew him for a short time, I feel priveleged to have had the opportunity and it was great to have met others from the board who felt the same.

ScubaTexan,

I just wanted to say thanks for speaking on behalf of all of us at Scubaboard. I would also like to thank the other SB members that attended the Memorial too. I know you went to pay your respects to Rob, but I feel that we all paid our respects and shared our sympathies with his family through you.

It is certainly a tribute to the calibre of people in this online community (family) that we were so well represented.

God bless,

Andrew

Thank you for your wonderful words on the service Scuba Texan, and thanks for taking me along with you there, if only in spirit ..... I am moved ... I must go .. something in my eyes

DB

Cave Diver:
Every single person that spoke of Rob related some positive impact or influence he had on them.

Agreed. Here are some of the pix.

More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom