In response to TsandM's message regarding gas planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beester

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just saw the following on youtube.

YouTube - Diving Accident Potential For A Bad Outcome Bahamas 12/12/08

It's a small film life about a guy seeying two divers (one 12 year old) without any experience lingering at depth pre-occupied with their camera.

He luckely goes out to check them... when he reaches them he's at 150 feet. He asks them to check mano... no reaction checks it himself. Diver 1 700psi, Diver 2 400 psi.

I'm not going to re-iterate what's been said in TsandM's thread but please learn about gas-planning.

My work computer blocks YouTube so I can't watch the clip, but am I reading the post correctly: that a 12 year old was down at 150 feet?

As I said in the other thread ... this isn't a gas planning issue, it's an awareness issue.

All the knowledge in the world won't do you any good if you don't put any thought into applying it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

this isn't a gas planning issue, it's an awareness issue.

Most certainly.

Just like there is no excuse for running out of gas, there is no excuse for accidentally finding yourself at xxx feet.

True NWGrateful...

But in response to the accident that happened... that was also an awereness issue.

Btw your gasplanning article is excellent if you don't mind me saying so. (lifts hat)

Most certainly.

Just like there is no excuse for running out of gas, there is no excuse for accidentally finding yourself at xxx feet.

I think you would be surprised how many vacation (and also regular local) divers get lulled by the smoothing warm aquarium water... add a little narcosis... and there you go... oops... 150 feet.

Specially if you combine new divers with taskloading (taking pictures), less than optimal trim and no watchdog (Dm) to guide them safely to the coral.

As I said in the other thread ... this isn't a gas planning issue, it's an awareness issue.

That is exactly right. Gas or any other planing had nothing to do with this. They were clearly beyond their skill level and the DM/Guide should have not allowed the dive to continue to that depth.

The operation that lead that dive may have been able to prevent it but not being there it is hard to say.

Side note:
When my wife and I went to Kauai we had decided on diving the Island of Niihau.
(The best diving in all of Hawaii, BTW.) We chartered with Seasport divers. They had made sure of our diving experience, verified our Cert Cards and grilled us before they would even take our money for the dive. They also refused to take a group of three tourist divers as they could not validate (or BS their) diving experience although they had AOW cards.

When we arrived at Niihau, we had a detailed briefing and clear instructions on where the dive was to start and finish. Once we splashed and descended, I could see why they were so adamant about buoyancy control and sticking close to your buddy. The wall seemed to go into the abyss! Even with 100 plus vis, all you could see looking down was deep blue water, no bottom. I would hate to see someone slip into narcosis and vanish into that.

I'm no means an expert, but it seems to me that new divers should get a little lesson on what happens when you don't pay attention to something (air supply, depth, where your buddy is, whatever). If I'm not mistaken, part of the deep dive in AOW is supposed to show how you might be affected without necessarily feeling narc'ed, so why should something similar not be done in OW? It was unplanned, but I got that lesson while trying to navigate during my checkout dives. It's strange how you can end up just below the surface from 25ft before you realise that you weren't swimming totally horizontal.

I think you would be surprised how many vacation (and also regular local) divers get lulled by the smoothing warm aquarium water... add a little narcosis... and there you go... oops... 150 feet.

Specially if you combine new divers with taskloading (taking pictures), less than optimal trim and no watchdog (Dm) to guide them safely to the coral.

no, no. I wouldn't be surprised.

While I agree that this is definitely an awareness issue, if they had started out considering their available gas and making (at least somewhat of) a plan, they probably wouldn't have gotten themselves into that situation.

Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to blame it on a DM or guide for letting them go that deep and stay down that long (assuming there was a DM/guide....work blocks videos so I haven't watched it), once you are certified, you are responsible for your own dive. And that means finding a good buddy (or making sure you are mentally and physically prepared to do a solo dive), planning your dive, making the dive and adjusting for any issues that come up, and completing your dive. Being certified means you should be able to do that....unfortunately that is not always the case, but it is not (imo) the job of the DM to hold everyone's hands and dive for them.

I hope all divers who read these threads (not just new divers) realize/remember the importance of having a good plan, being aware of what's going on with you and your buddy, knowing what's going on around you, and generally staying within your own personal limits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom