In-water recompression to decompress - what are your thoughts?

Would you consider 'in-water recompression' to decompress

• Yes

Votes: 58 76.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 7 9.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Russell Bowyer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was discussing the safety aspects of using 'in-water recompression' in the situation where a recompression chamber is not nearby - i.e. more that a day or more from the dive site.

Has anyone had any experience of using this form or recompression/decompression?

Has anyone got views on the concept and to start a discussion around the idea of putting someone back in the water to decompress?

The dive situation I was discussing was a film shoot. They were discovering new species at a depth of 100 metres (328 feet). The shoot and dive was a 3 day boat trip to the nearest hyperbaric chamber, so their only option would be to use 'in-water recompression.'

It depends. Are there viable alternatives? Do the people involved understand what they are doing? Do they have the gas and equipment needed for this? Does everyone involved understand what could go wrong and how this can end badly even if nobody makes a mistake?

It depends. Are there viable alternatives? Do the people involved understand what they are doing? Do they have the gas and equipment needed for this? Does everyone involved understand what could go wrong and how this can end badly even if nobody makes a mistake?
Yeah that's it. On a recent thread it was pointed out that it's not rocket science. But you do have to have enough gas in the tank you're using or be able to switch tanks rather quickly (like 5 minutes) for it to be effective. PADI's material advises against it. I read that NAVY divers do it and are well prepared for it. That's what I took from the thread anyway.

If diving in remote areas, take prudent steps to minimise any risk of DCS. If the diving is liable to present unavoidable DCS risks (tech expeditions etc) equip with a portable fabric recompression chamber - the technology is available and the costs are relatively low.

Many divers pipe-dream about IWR. They feel it's an option because they over-simplify (don't understand) the resources and medical issues associated with it.

Many don't even fully understand the differences between conducting omitted decompression, preventative recompression and true IWR with a serious, symptomatic, diagnosed patient.

I have personally seen people "fixed" by IWR who were obviously bent including some with paralysis.

It is a poor substitute for a chamber and proper medical care.That doesn't mean it's not effective,it obviously is.

As was mentioned in previous threads,I would use it when necessary to prevent any permanent damage that may arise from "doing it right" and waiting to be flown or drove 24 to 48+ hours and insuring greater injury.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom