In-water temperature gradient. What's the biggest delta you've experienced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miketsp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got back from a weekend of diving at Ilha Grande in Brazil and experienced the highest temperature gradients I've ever seen.
Air temperature high 30'sC.
In-water near surface temperature 30C.
In-water at 20m, 15C in the cracks between the big rocks at the site Parcel do Coronel.
Similar range on the wreck Pinguino at 17m.

Surface temp ~ 58, 40 feet ~42 (Fahrenheit).

One degree C per meter is not unusual.
(I'm an oceanographer)

In my region (Great Lakes), and in my system of measurement, I have seen surface temps of as high as 75 degrees, with an "at depth" of 35 degrees....

thermocline typically at around 65'-70'

Depends on whether the upwelling happened during your dive. :D
78 at surface, was 74 at ~80 but this strange, shimmering water came at me . . . freaking 42!!!!

Barracuda Lake in Coron. 28C at the surface, 40C in the middle depths, and 28C again at the bottom :D

Let's see: In NC during the summer at the quarry over 98 f at the surface and at about 26 feet 47 f. OTOH in Fla diving the caves, surface was in the 30's and the water temp was 72 f.

Reactions: Jax
I've see air temps at nearly 100 degrees F, surface temps at 85 degrees F & below 50 ft, 42 degrees F (Have usually passed through 2 thermoclines). No matter the surface temp, below 50 ft in our local quarry, it is 42- 45 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom