incapacitated diver recovery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been teaching surface water rescue and swiftwater rescue for over 10 years. We teach the "net" technique which we refer to as parbuckling. I took a piece of plastic snow fence about 8-10 feet long attached 2 carabiners to the corners on one end and a pole weaved through the other for weight and a line tied to the middle of the pole. The net is clipped on the boat and draped over the side. The victim is pushed up to the net and the line is tossed over the victim and into the boat, the rescuer then enters the boat pulls the line until they can grab the pole, the net should be wrapped around the victim. The rescuer can then pull up on the bar or carefully fall backwards rolling the victim up and into the boat. this creates mechanical advantage which lessens the load the rescuer has to pull. We also use 3 pieces of long webbing but this takes 2 rescuers in the boat. When I go to work this weekend I will take some photos and post them.

This parbuckling method is what I was referring to. I guess it gives a 2:1 advantage in lift which would certainly help...

I look forward to seeing the pics Resgdivemedic

Here are the photos of the parbuckling system we use. The plastic snowfence is 9 feet long.

IMG_1035.JPG
IMG_1036.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG

Parbuckling can be done with just a few ropes so long as you have a couple of people to pull them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom