Incestuous relationship between manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glub

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone with info, please feel free to comment:

Are Zeagle regulators made by Apeks?

Are Genesis and Sherwood affiliated?

Are some Genesis regulators made by Oceanic?

Is the Scubapro Air 2 just a re-badged version of the Tusa Duo-Air, or vice versa?

Are Aqualung Legend first stages made by Apeks?

If anyone knows similar relationships, I'd be interested in knowing about it. This is more than idle curiosity, if I am buying an item, I would like to know who the manufacturer is. If I buy a Honda, I’d like to know Honda made the vehicle and didn’t just re-badge an Isuzu.

AFAIK, Apeks used to make the Zeagles, but when Aqualung bought Apeks, they stopped doing so. I don't know if Zeagle makes their own now, or found some other company.

The only one I know is that a company called Pelagic used to make all the hockey-puck style and related dive computers.
These were sold by US Divers, Oceanic, Genesis, etc.
I'm not sure if they still make the current Oceanic, Aeris and
Genesis computers since there were some major changes
in the design, but I won't be surprised if they still do, since they all still seem to be made by the same manufacturer.
US Divers(now Aqualung) switched to selling Suunto computers.

Tabata manufactures all of Scubapro's piston regulators (I suspect they make the Mk 16 as well, but I'm not 100% positive). Once the Mk 10 patents expired, TUSA (Tabata USA)marketed the same reg with a just a few cosmetic changes. The parts and part numbers were identical.

The TUSA Duo Air is the same as the 3rd generation Air II but with different shaped buttons and slightly different styling. Both are manufactured by Tabata.

Genesis and Sherwood are owned by the same company as are Dacor and Mares

Scubapro, to me, is one of the BIG names in scuba gear. To find out that TUSA makes their regs is a bit of an eye opener. Thanks

Glub once bubbled...
Scubapro, to me, is one of the BIG names in scuba gear. To find out that TUSA makes their regs is a bit of an eye opener. Thanks

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet ;-)

agstreet once bubbled...

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet ;-)

Should Glub not believe that Scubapro is one of the big names in the industry or not believe that Tabata made their regs?

I am not sure how long Tabata has made Scubapro's regs, but it has been at least 20 years and I suspect goes back much farther than that. I have never been 100% sure of the exact relationship bewteen Tabata and Scubapro, but I think it is a case of Scubapro doing the engineering and then farming the manufacturing out to Tabata, who to be honest has always done an excellent job.

This is hard for some to swallow as, for the divers who have been around awhile, Tabata was never known for great stuff when they did market in the US under that label and much of their stuff tended to be found through mail order discount businesses. The newer TUSA lable also has the undeserved reputation of not being known for first rate requipment.

But if you accept that Scubapro has had great regs since at least the Mk 5 and Mk 10, then you also have to accept that Tabata has done an excellent job making them. The fact that they are made at a Tabata facility to Scubapro specs and quality standards rather than at a Scubapro facility has no bearing on the ultimate quality of the reg.

DA,
Do you have the Tabata address of the plant in Italy. I need to contact them?

There is indeed a relationship between Sherwood and Gensesis. Crammer and Decker distrubute both. I don't know the exact relationship but I think Crammer and decker is also envolved with decissions pertaining to product decissions. Sherwood is (or was) a very small division of Harsco. Harsco has little interest and Zero knowledge of scuba.

Zeagle does manufacture their own regs now but up intil a few years ago they sold Apeks regs.

I'm not certain who makes Genesis regs but I doubt they don't manufacure any regs themselves. Prior to the introduction of the current series (which bTW were designed specifically to compete with the Sherwood they were selling the Aqualung micra under their own name.

Some of the bigger names like aqualund and scubapro no doubt use aquisitions as ome methode of gaining market share.

In other news... there are about three tennis ball machines in the world manufacturing all the brands.
The CRT (picture tube) in your monitor or TV most likely comes from Hitachi, Sony or Hyundai, regardless of the brand. I don't think there's a single CRT manufacturer left in the United States or Europe.
And so forth.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom