Incident at Düsseldorf International Boat Show.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two Heinrichs Weikamp computers, extremely well made, operate as good as Shearwaters. The company is also very responsive to any problems. Hopefully they will soon report what happened and why.

Appearantly somebody put an OSTC containing an alkaline primary AA battery on a USB battery charger, for the first couple of hours nothing happened, and then suddenly there was a very loud bang. 12 hurt, 5 seen in the ER for ear trauma, 1 person with cuts from flying OSTC pieces (shrapnel) otherwise no serious injuries..

Michael

According to the attached link the manufacturer stated, that the cause was, that a normal, non-rechargeable battery was in the computer, but it was still put on the charging-pad. After a couple of hours without incident the "explosion" happend.
The lid of the battery case flew off. Someone was holding it at that that time but was unhurt.

Explosion auf der Boot in Düsseldorf: „Es war ein menschlicher Fehler“

According to the attached link the manufacturer stated, that the cause was, that a normal, non-rechargeable battery was in the computer, but it was still put on the charging-pad. After a couple of hours without incident the "explosion" happend.
The lid of the battery case flew off. Someone was holding it at that that time but was unhurt.

Hello Rechno,

Thanks for your information. Shall we chalk this one up to "operator error"?

Readers are leaders--read the battery section of your manual. Don't recharge non-rechargeable batteries? Is that the takeaway?

thanks,
markm

I guess that sums it up, according to the article.

Readers are leaders--read the battery section of your manual. Don't recharge non-rechargeable batteries? Is that the takeaway?

Inductive changing pad I take it? That should be in the same manual that says don't put metal spoon in microwave oven, don't stick fingers into power outlet, etc. I have a better idea: let's just remove all warning labels...

Please, pretty please, nobody from the TSA ever read this or anything related to it... Would severely hate a DC ban for carry on and checked...

They already know, and there is a restriction of a maximum of 100wh per battery. But that is mostly a fire related rule, and the airline can allow larger batteries but probably won't unless you have a good reason.

Sounds more realistic than the click bait article I read on a since blocked Dive related site.

Back when I sold cell phones, and we were transitioning to lithium batteries, I decided to open the case of a bad one to see who it was put together. I have survived many bad ideas.

It starting smoking and heating up as I raced to the backdoor to get it outside!

Back
Top Bottom