Incident At Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyramid65

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got a text from a buddy...he was at Dutch yesterday 4/24/16 and helped cut the suit off a guy....don't have any details...tried doin a search but only previous deaths came up

I was at Dutch yesterday (was underwater when it happened), but heard from someone involved that he left with a pulse and a stable cardiac rhythm on the monitor. Have been Googling for something but so far nothing. Hopefully that's good news, if he survived it would be less likely to make the papers. :(

The title of this thread is extremely unfair to Dutch Springs, and as of 8PM last night the diver was alive and in the chamber. I do not know his current status, as we all know how rapidly that can change.

Reactions: Jax
The title of this thread is extremely unfair to Dutch Springs, and as of 8PM last night the diver was alive and in the chamber. I do not know his current status, as we all know how rapidly that can change.

Really glad to hear that, that's what the person that I spoke to said. The title should be changed, I can suggest this to the mods.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread title changed.

I was told that he's a 60 YO, who surfaced after a very short dive with foamy blood in his mouth.

[speculation]
The victim and buddy were diving. *Something* happened at depth, so that the victim left the buddy (assuming without notification, because the buddy probably would have surfaced with him) and ascended to the surface. *IF* the *something* were dramatic, such as a medical event, it is very possible the victim incurred a lung-over expansion injury on the way up, resulting in the bloody froth.
[/speculation]

[rumor] The victim was resuscitated by advanced life support at the hospital. [/rumor]

I pray that the rumor is true.

good luck and best wishes for those involved with this incident....

Just had one of the actual rescue divers chime in on Facebook - the diver DID survive!!!

fruit.gif

GREAT NEWS!!!!

from a person at the scene who followed up with the EMS:

"after talking to one of the EMS responders that the diver did survive. A weak pulse was discovered after her was loaded into the ambulance. He was flown to Penn and placed in a hyperbaric chamber and treated for arterial gas embolism. My apologies for reporting he was not able to be revived or pronounced dead. That is the report.we were given by one of the first responders. Two things amaze me here...1) how can reports right at the scene be wrong..although the diver did look.to be in dire Straits and resuscitation did not look hopeful. And 2) how amazing EMS personally are that knowing and witnessing an event like ths that these professionals can respond and resuscitate an individual on even the most hopeless situations. Outstanding!!!!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom