Incident in St Andrews Lake - Regulator failed shut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found it sometimes caused confusion/distraction for the students whenever I had equipment that they didn't, but I get BSAC's point. If the instructor needs to self-rescue, a pony-bottle gives them an option that should allow them to maintain control of the class by giving them enough time to surface as a group.

Back when I was teaching actively (not BSAC), I probably would have given the best student the 'ole "OOA --> Share Air" signal and turned the situation into a "time to surface" exercise. Granted, I almost exclusively had a Divemaster in the water during training, so there was always another set of eyes/hands to help maintain control/safety of the class.

Everyone will have their own version of "what I would have done." My case illustrates the earlier comment of "they had each other." But, reading through these threads from the past few years, there doesn't seem to be much of a tendency for buddy assistance these days. Well...thinking about that, there probably ARE many buddy assistance events, they just don't end up being written about in the "Accident" category. It's when the buddy system (or redundant air supplies) fails that we have new incidents to discuss.

how about the tank having stuff in it and when head down vertical it plugged the tank neck?
This actually happened to me...

I was corrected as to dip tube, which as what I meant but, darn it, couldn't recall the word, at the time I wrote my initial post. (Old-timers :oops:) :p

From what I heard there was no issue found with the regs and they suspect the cylinder had debris that may have blocked it.

The cylinder was a rental and it was mentioned to the owners that they should inspect the cylinder.

Back
Top Bottom